High RPMs To launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High RPMs To launch

I have an'82 XJ1100...this past spring I had rejetted the carbs with a stage lll carb kit and also installed a aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust...I also had the clutch rebuilt...So I have 2 problems...the first is that I need at least 4000 RPM to launch from first gear or the engine will lug.Secondly while launching from first gear at less than 4000 RPM the clutch seems to slip in first gear.While the xnsmission doesn't slip out of gear it will slip while in gear like the clutch plates aren't grabbing unless there are higher RPMs.Whenever I launch with 4000 RPMs or higher the first gear does not slip.What can be done here to fix this.Also should note that I replaced the stock airbox and had installed 4 K and N air filters.I tried to find this topic thru a search first but did not find specifically the problems I am having.Thanks for all suggestions/comments.
    Last edited by madmax-im; 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

I take it by "launch " you mean just trying to take off at a normal speed/acceleration.

In the kit, did you change the pilot jets as well as main and needle?
    May have a little too much fuel until at higher RPM.
    Have you adjusted the pilot screws and sync'ed the carbs?

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro
      I take it by "launch " you mean just trying to take off at a normal speed/acceleration.

In the kit, did you change the pilot jets as well as main and needle?
      May have a little too much fuel until at higher RPM.
      Have you adjusted the pilot screws and sync'ed the carbs?

mro
      Yes I mean take off at a normal acceleration.As far as the carbs go...I didn't do any of the work..I had a shop do it.So I dont know if the pilot jets were changed.I cant go back to the shop as they closed their doors and went out of business Where would I find the pilot screws?Supposedly the carbs were sync'd by the shop.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Pilot jets are on the top front (engine side) of each carb.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Check your clutch adjustments as well. Needing to use the higher RPM to lunch may also be because the clutch is brand new and STICKY. You may need to develop a better feel for it but it would not make sense to be sticky to get going and sliping when in use.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

high RPMs' to launch

Rob;These pilot screws are they internal or external..and how should they be adjusted?I will also check the clutch adjustment.Thanks
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

should be right on top external. They may be covered with a plug thats needs to be removed. My true experience is with the 78 and 79 XS bikes and I have read in many posts about pilot jets on some models being concealed under a brass plug.
              I got the impression that you were feeding the bike the fuel to raise the RPMs for the lunch? Or is it idling that fast?
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Ok I will be checking these out as soon as I have had my coffee:cool
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

If in deed you find that your pilots are under caps be very careful while removing the caps / plugs. They are pressed in and you don't want to damage the jets that are under the plugs. Some say to use a very small drill and use it with care to make a hole so you can pry the plug out. some say to pierce it with a sharp object like a large needle.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Rob,additionally I have to rev the throttle/engine and not that it idles too high...And Thanks for the heads up on the pilot screw covers
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

To me it seems like I am not getting enough fuel until the rpms come up..if so how would I adjust the pilot screws?Clockwise or counterclocwise?I am no expert here but it would seem that clockwise would restrict fuel flow and counterclockwise would increase fuel flow.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Well if the engine is idling properly making adjustments to the pilot jets will not solve your issue which is that you need to increase the RPM to keep the engine from stalling when you start off. how is the cable. Is the lever smooth with light pull to operate ?
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im
                          To me it seems like I am not getting enough fuel until the rpms come up..if so how would I adjust the pilot screws?Clockwise or counterclocwise?I am no expert here but it would seem that clockwise would restrict fuel flow and counterclockwise would increase fuel flow.
                          That's correct.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                            Well if the engine is idling properly making adjustments to the pilot jets will not solve your issue which is that you need to increase the RPM to keep the engine from stalling when you start off. how is the cable. Is the lever smooth with light pull to operate ?
                            Rob
                            Perhaps I need to re-jet the carbs to alower stage.As I said earlier...I had a stage lll carb kit installed by a local m/c shop...so maybe the carb kit needs to be a bit milder?Maybe the stglll is too extreme.My throttle cable is fine and there is no delay in its response to my input.So if I am idling ok and then I dont need to adjust the pilot screws...I am back to square 1 Also bike never stalls but the engine will lug if not revved high enough.Could this be the clutch???
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

When I was talking about your lever and cable feel I was referring to the clutch cable and lever. If the engine idles fine and responds to throttle input nicely I would be inclined to think the issue is with the clutch. If however it is the engine that needs added fuel when it is asked to "work" then some jetting adjustments would be helpful. Do check out the clutch play and cable before you remove the carbs.
                              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                              1978 XS500E
                              1979 XS1100F Restored
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1981 Suzuki GS1100
                              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                              X