Primary Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Chain

Hey Guys, I recently purchased a 1981 XS1100 27 000 kms. After about 1000kms it picked up an knock that seemed to orginate somewhere in the drive train. The Knock is only present if the bike is engaged in gear, not there in idle. Have striped the engine and can see nothing wrong, no gears chipped, no marks on engine housing , all bearings seem to look good. The only thing I can see that looks a little outta place is the primary drive chain looked a little slack. but not knowing how tight it should be cause concern. Really like to know if someone out there has any pointers for me.

Teach

The primaries do have a little slack in them. If all the bearings looked good and don't have any copper color showing on them, I would look at the piston/wrist pin/top of connecting rod area. Check over the cylinders well to and look for any areas of piston slapping. Besides that...??? Possibly timing related and just detonation problems?

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yeah look somewhere else for the source of the noise. From what I have read the primary chain is good for more then the life of the engine.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hi Teach,

Does the noise get less if you pull the clutch in? If so, it is probably nothing to worry about.

Clutch and drive-train noises usually get much better (or go away entirely!) when carbs are properly balanced (synched?)

Best of luck!

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Since you have the engine apart would plasti-gauge the bearings just to be sure.

Knock Knock...
          have found one with piston slap
          found one with a crack in the clutch basket (no continious noise, mostly starting off in first or when twisting the grip XSively)
          80G has a most annoing knock, beleave it is inherent to some XSes and is related to pre-ignition/timing which Yamaha had known about and was recently talked about here on the forum.

mro

Comment

Working...
          X