spooge hole cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spooge hole cleaning

where do i get the wire?? Home depot, hardware store what gauge etc. can I use anything around the house, thanks brian

Ummm...

What is a spooge hole? I would definatly reccomend you buying whatever you can at the Home Depot, not just because I work there, but we will beat anyones price by 10% on anything!!
    1980 XS 1100 Special SG
    "White Lightning"

Comment

I find that a piece of wire snipped from my parts cleaning brush works just fine. It is approx .013" dia.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Ummmm....

So what is a spooge hole? I am serious, and clueless!!
        1980 XS 1100 Special SG
        "White Lightning"

Comment

Spooge hole cleaning wire... and more

bbs1980xs1100g wrote:
          where do i get the wire??
          I use the wire from a bread tie. It's small enough to fit through the "spooge hole" but soft enough not to easily scratch the master cylinder bore.

You can also use a similar gauge piano wire, available from hardware stores or hobby suppliers. Piano wire is much stiffer, and will last you as long as you can hang on to it.

Another great source is a wire from a wire brush. You can take the wire and press it into the end of a wooden match stick to create a "special tool" as shown in the GS Resources Carb Clean and Rebuild Pictorial (see links at end of this post).

For those curious about the "spooge hole", see Ken Talbot's Brakes Not Releasing? tip in the Maintenance section of the XS11.COM tech tips.

For another use of bread tie wire, see my Pre-Synchronizing Carburetors tip in the same section.

Though not identical to XS carbs, the entire GS Resources Carb Clean and Rebuild Pictorial is an excellent step-by-step reference.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by Bill; 12-29-2002, 04:26 PM.
          Bill K.
          1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
          1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

just cleaned the spooge hole with a needle, bread tie and paperclip. the inside hole was clogged with rust, and alittle black shaving of line or oring was present . The inside spooge hole had so much pressure that when i loosened clog the fluid shot up 15 inches. wirebrushed the rust cleaned and reassembled. didnt press the lever so no air got in the linesi just added fluid and is fine for now,

Is it normal to have to reclean in x amount of miles?

Comment

Glad to hear that you got the spooge hole cleaned, and I sure hope you had lots of rags covering your paint. Of course, now you've got to think for a minute that if there was spooge at the master cylinder, chances are real good that there's more of it throughout the lines and within caliper. What looked like shavings of line or o-ring was probably bits of rotted-out brake line. Did you already post that you had the caliper apart for a cleaning too? If not, this should probably be one of your next tasks.

Don't worry - you're not alone in this. Every one of us with original 20 year old brake lines has the same problem. That's part of the reason why the brakes seem to need such an inordinate amount of attention. Also, that's why many folks have replaced their original lines with new. In fact, as soon as my backorder arrives from Dennis Kirk, I'll be installing braided stainless lines on SWMBO's 'H and her brake problems will be history.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I did emory the pistons of the calipers. Orifice holes are cleaned in the front. im going to get new brake lines eventually, thanks everyone brian

Comment

Working...
                X