help with XJ1100j Maxim Speedo 160mph swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with XJ1100j Maxim Speedo 160mph swap

If Maximan or any other members that have converted their 85mph speedo to a 140/160mph speedo could give me some pointers I would appreciate it.

I recently got a 82' XJ1100j Maxim and it came with a lot of extra parts. There is a 160mph dial in there but no drive unit. If I replaced the dial in a 85mph speedo with a 160mph dial and left the 85mph guts, it would not read right, Right? Since it is mechanical not digital, I would need a speedo geared for 160mph, Correct? Anybody have an extra?
    Gary Luckin
    '78 XS1100E Full Dress
    '74 DT175A Enduro
    '86 Husqvarna 400XC Cross Country
    My Avatar is "Rolle Free"
    breaking the speed record in 1948
    check this out;
    http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200701/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-motorcycle_1.html

There are two approaches to getting a 160 mph speedo in the XJ. Maximan's mod swaps in a 160 speedo guts and requires a small modification to the shell. The other way is use the 160 face plate, elongate the window for the odometer numbers (larger on the XJ than the XS) and send the speedo in to be calibrated to the new face plate. I took the later approach several years ago, cost at that time was $50.00 for the recalibration and shipping back to me. Place that did the calibration was in Oregon, will have to search past threads to get correct name and address, guy who did the actual work left the company and started his own shop.

Maximan's swap works well and takes less time, the faceplate swap keeps the XJ's front-mounted reset button and stock shell but takes more effort and is perhaps a few dollars more. Either upgrade is well worth it.

If you decide to do the swap, let me know if you want to part with the 160 face plate. I would like to get another one to upgrade my spare instrument cluster.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks Jerry,

I think I'll go the way you went. I have no idea what this faceplate is worth to decide and go the other way. That would be finding a whole speedo out of a different model bike and reconfiguring it physically to fit into the Maxim's Instrument Module, correct? Sounds like a bigger project. Would a dremel tool be used to widen the odometer slot on the faceplate? Or exactoknife. I sure don't want to mar it.

What would I search for and in which section to find the name and address of the company to recalibrate the speedo head? I am still a newbie here. Or I could just search the Internet I guess.
      Gary Luckin
      '78 XS1100E Full Dress
      '74 DT175A Enduro
      '86 Husqvarna 400XC Cross Country
      My Avatar is "Rolle Free"
      breaking the speed record in 1948
      check this out;
      http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200701/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-motorcycle_1.html

Comment

Working...
      X