Exhaust mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust mods...

Who here has drilled the baffles on the stock exhaust ? The stock exhaust is nice and quiet, but it's not very, "mean," or, "throaty," sounding !

I don't really want to wreck my stock pipes, but at teh same time, would like the bike to sound meaner ! Any thoughts ?

Cheers !

Ive drilled mine. i put 4, 1/2" holes in each. It sounds great.

Comment

i drilled my exhaust, im kind of wishing i didnt do it

sure, it sounds a bit louder, but not the louder i was looking for

maybe ill drill mine out a bit more

after that, im gonna try the hd muffler mod i think

edit: search you tube, i have a few videos of my exhaust drilled out, youll find them, look for 'xs11' i think
      1980 XS1100SG - almost done

Comment

I drilled my original '78 exhaust with 4 1/4" holes per muffler. The sound was up just a little, but the top end was a LOT nicer. I don't know if the 1/2" holes will work any better or worse. I didn't want the bike too loud, as I don't want the police to know I'm there until I'm on my way out.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Now, this may be a silly question, but I assume you drilled them on the end, around the outlet ?

And when you say louder, meaning, "I'm gonna get pulled over, deafening louder, better throw some ear plugs in?" or...... ?

ambidexorious, I will check out your vid's !

Cheers

Comment

Zedman, They are just a little bit louder. I think I went up about 1db, at the most. And yes, you DO drill about half way between the stock outlet and the outside rim of the muffler. This allows some of the gases to bypass the internal baffles of the muffler.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Drilled mine out, didnt like it, knocked all the baffling out totally...liked it, but was afraid of a ticket, so created baffle plates for the END of the pipes. Worked ok, but sounded terrible. Had a nice aggressive sound...like that of a dragster...but backfired a lot and still got too much attention.

Today, I grabbed a friend of mine and we got to the task of re-baffling with home-found parts. 4 pieces of Stainless steel, 2 10 inch long by 1 1/2 inch wide pipes, several sheet metal screws, and some creativity.

Drilled 26 holes (5/32) in each pipe. Drilled 14 (5/32) holes in the rear baffle plates, left the front plates solid. Ran the pipe thru the front plates, capped the back end. Inserted into the pipes, seated and fastened, fired her up...SWEET!!!!

Now I just need to re-synch the carbs for the new back pressure, and I´m golden!
              "Rat Rod"
              79 XS1100 Standard
              87 VMAX cans
              Cheap Japanese Tires
              Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
              Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
              Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

awesome, thanks for all the input guys !!!

cheers !

Comment

Working...
                X