Grey Smoke, poor mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Smoke, poor mpg

Today while out on a ride, my H was putting out grey smoke, worse under accelleration, and my mpg was much, much worse (27mpg, and I have the 750 final drive). My fiancee, who was behind me, also said the bike smelled bad, but couldn't explain further. She said the smoke was mainly from the left pipe, but may have been both when I really cranked on the throttle.

The bike ran a little rough too, but not nearly as bad as it had eariler this summer. The coils were just checked, new hotter plugs where installed in may.

It seemed to get worse as the day went on, and my H has a vetter fairing with lowers on it, so heat may be part of it.

Any ideas?
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Re: Grey Smoke, poor mpg

Maybe a float or float valve is leaking causing a very rich mixture. Are the #1 and/or #2 plugs black or are they oil fouled?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Started to take stuff apart, and the left petcock just pours gas. It is one of the vacuum types, and was set to on (So it shouldn't have been pouring gas).

I am a developing mechanic, could this be my culprit? I actually have a complete 2nd tank with petcocks that don't do that I am going to pop on tomorrow.
      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I don't have the octopus anymore so my petcocks flow gas anyway. As long as your floats cut of the gas flow it shouldn't make a difference...sounds to me like you may a a stuck float allowing too much gas to go into the cylinder. Check your plugs too for fuel fouling.
        XS 1100 LG

Comment

may a a stuck float
          Ooops wasn't stuttering....should be may have a stuck float...
          XS 1100 LG

Comment

Working...
          X