Just rejetted, new problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rejetted, new problems

After hearing how bad it was to be running so lean from the guys at the Tahoe rally, I decided to follow the tech tip on here about rejetting. Because I have aftermarket 4-2 pipes and the pod air filters, I took the mains from 110 to 117.5 and 120 to 127.5, also taking the pilots from 42.5 to 45. However, now it doesn't sound like it's running right and I can't get much power out of it. All 4 cylinders are firing (spray water test) and I didn't change anything else. I really hope you guys can help me again, Street Vibrations is coming up soon...
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

It sounds like you are too rich. I would try 115's and 117.5 to start. I am running 140's or one size up on the 78 carbs I have in my bike, and I have a 1179 big bore, aftermarket filter, and aftermarket 4-2 pipes. That's all the increase I needed.

Comment

Well, for me 1 size would be 112.5 and 122.5 mains, but should I leave the pilots up or go back to stock?

I really don't want to have to buy multiple sets of jets here. And the opinion of someone from the ralley that heard it run would be nice.
      1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

The pilot jets affect all others because they supply fuel through all setting. Given your set I would leave the pilots and go down on the mains.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Duhh. I should have read the post more thoroughly. What I meant to say was start by going up just two sizes on the mains, and possibly just keep the stock pilot jets, and turn the pilot screw out about one extra turn. I stated my jet sizes just to show you how little I needed to up size when I did all my mods.
          If you have an independent bike shop nearby, they may be willing to trade jets with you.

Comment

Hey Mage,

Was it your dad that maybe read the specs in the manuals about the staggered jetting, and set it up that way??

Many folks have reported that in the later year models, that their machines came stock with straight 110 jets across all four carbs, I know mine did, and I have the 81 Special.

So...when I did my rebuild big bore, and have 4-1 pipes, Indy filters, I have gone up to 117.5's from 110's on all four, and it runs great and has good plug color on all 4!

So...you might want to just replace the 2 with 127.5 with 117.5's and you'll probably be good. You may need to tweak the pilot jet screws, as well as your float heights, all interact with each other!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually TC, I'm the one that found the different jets for 1,4 and 2,3. I'll see on Tuesday if I can get a pair of 117.5s and try it out.
              1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

My 1980 SG had 110 mains in all 4 carbs. When I replaced the rusted out OEM pipes with a MAC 4 to 2 system, I left the pilot jets alone, but bumped the mains to 115 on 1 & 4 and 120 on 2 & 3. Seems to run well for me and plug color looks good.

I do notice a slight flat in performance when transitioning from pilot to main circuits, but it quickly passes. Maybe the 120's are too much and I should look into the 117.5's...

Even so, my pipes still blued on me...Kind of disappointing...
                Past Rides:
                1969 OSSA 250 Pioneer
                1979 XS650 Special
                1978 Honda CB750K
                Current: 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Still here...

Ok, been trying stuff for the past couple of days, got it down to 115 mains on all 4 and the 45 pilots. Just cleaned the plugs before today's test ride (had been fouled from the bigger jets) and it's still not quite right. However, it seems like the problems are at the low-end. As soon as I give it a good twist, it lights right up! Does this make any sense?

Oh, and scott 0757, I also have pod air filters.
                  1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Go back to 42.5 pilots, and make sure the three small orifices in the top of the throttle body are clear. They also supply fuel during low rpm operation. The throttle plates cover these orifices at idle, and some guys aren't aware of their purpose.

Comment

It's been said that you don't have to change the pilots until you go up 3 sizes on mains... So I agree. Go back to the originals.

To test the mains, stick a spark plug wrench in your pocket and maybe even a rag or oven mit to keep from getting burnt... go out and run the bike for several miles... keeping the rpm over 4,000 to make sure you're just using the main jets. Then when you get somewhere safe, immediately pull in the clutch and kill it... coasting to a stop. This will make sure you don't use the pilot jets. Pull over and pull your plugs and look at the color. That will tell you if the mains are ok... or if you need to go up or down any more.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                        It's been said that you don't have to change the pilots until you go up 3 sizes on mains... So I agree. Go back to the originals.

Tod
                        But with individual pods, he should be up 3 sizes anyway.

My 78 is running pods and four into one. My jetting is 145 from 137.5 and up one pilot size. Runs sweet.

Change in pilot size means you need to use less adjustment on the mixture screws. Do you use a colourtune to set the mixture?

My screws are less than 1 and 1/4 turns out to get perfect coulour at idle.

For your configuration 117.5's should be right and up one size pilot. Should be just fine tuning from there.

And I think same jetting across all four is much easier to dial in.
                        1981 XJ550RH
                        1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
                        1978 XS1100F X Streem
                        1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
                        Jet/Mod Calculator
                        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Hired_Goon

But with individual pods, he should be up 3 sizes anyway.

My 78 is running pods and four into one. My jetting is 145 from 137.5 and up one pilot size. Runs sweet.

Change in pilot size means you need to use less adjustment on the mixture screws. Do you use a colourtune to set the mixture?

My screws are less than 1 and 1/4 turns out to get perfect coulour at idle.

For your configuration 117.5's should be right and up one size pilot. Should be just fine tuning from there.

And I think same jetting across all four is much easier to dial in.
                          ...I don't even know how to set the mixture, I thought the book (Clymer) said that they don't need to be adjusted.

I'm so freaking new at this...
                          1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Hey Mage,

The book talks about the brass caps that were installed at the factory that seal the preset idle mixture/pilot screws! But once you start making mods, you need to remove them so you can tweak them according to your and your bike's needs!

Check out this fine tech tip by Ken Talbot for tuning your pilot circuit by ear if you don't have a colortune!

Hang in there, you'll get it eventually!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                              Hey Mage,

The book talks about the brass caps that were installed at the factory that seal the preset idle mixture/pilot screws! But once you start making mods, you need to remove them so you can tweak them according to your and your bike's needs!

Check out this fine tech tip by Ken Talbot for tuning your pilot circuit by ear if you don't have a colortune!

Hang in there, you'll get it eventually!
                              T.C.
                              Thanks for the tip, but that might be a while off (still gotta rewire to get my tach back in Neutral). Would this be ABSOLUTELY required to change jet sizes? If so, I can drop it back to stock and just run a little lean till winter.
                              1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Working...
                              X