how noisy is your transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how noisy is your transmission?

I need to know if it is normal to hear a whine from the trans on xs11's. I quieted mine down a bit and can hear what sounds like gear whine. one of my co-workers made the point that they are straight cut gears known to be noisy. Anybody in Harrisburg, PA? Take me for a ride, I wanna hear yer gears......
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Hey Ron,

Yes they are square cut, and do whine a bit, but you'll want to check your MIDDLE DRIVE gear oil levels to be sure! There was a recent thread about this, the middle gear can sometimes develop a leak into the driveshaft ujoint area, so you won't necessarily see a puddle, but can eventually run low and then burn up your bearings!

Also, have you removed the final drive from the shaft housing and greased the driveshaft splines lately!?

If you'll go to the MEMBER's Forum, and do a search as per the sticky message, you'll find a few folks in PA, I know Randy one of our electrical gurus lives there, along with several other Xsives, but PA is a large state!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, actually I swapped the mid drive with a good used one from andreas in spring. I did the shaft greasing as well and I recently (yesterday) verified the oil level in the mid drive. I have determined that the noise has to be primary or mainshaft related because the tone drops and rises with each gear change. I have a complete trans that I have undercut the gears 2 degrees, I just have to pull the motor when I get time. The delay is that I lunched a piston in my other bike and have it torn down right now and cant live on 4 wheels alone.
      What all do you suggest replacing in the starter clutch when I tear it down?
      Ron Evans
      79 xs11sf

Comment

Hey Ron,

That's seems like a lot of work just for some "noise"! I know if bearings are going bad that it's a different story, but have you verified that they are indeed going bad?? I've not heard of anyone having them fail on them, the roller kind for the gear shafts anyways?? Many folks have commented on switching to different oils, and have reduced their engine/tranny noise as well as improved their gear shifts!

So..you might want to try to get up with another Xsive in your area like you mentioned to have them listen to your bike, and also to hear their bike to compare the tranny whine!

But, if you decide to go ahead and split the cases, then these parts are what are available for the starter clutch rebuild from Partsnmore.
        STARTER CLUTCH KIT
        Fits XS1100 E/F/SF/G/SG/LG/H/SH/LH (78-81) Made in Japan

$18.00US EA.

Part#24-5003
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

hypoid

I'm interested in different hypoid oils to improve shifting etc
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
          Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
          Progressive fork springs
          CIBIE headlight reflector
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Maybe not hypoid , engine oils
            XJ1100K
            Avon rubber
            MikesXS black coils
            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
            MikesXS front master
            Progressive fork springs
            YICS Eliminator

Comment

ooooh...

Another oil thread?

mro

Comment

I'm going to have to split her open anyway due to 2nd and 4th gear damage. The lift trick usually works on second but 4th grinds 50% of the time. And this is riding vey conservatively. If you really want to wind her up you cant shift (clean) fast enough to be smooth. I'm all for keeping the gearbox in good shape, my wife likes to ride along and I'd hate for something to come apart possibly hurting her(us).
                Ron Evans
                79 xs11sf

Comment

If splitting the cases would R&R the cam chain too.
                  Easy to do then and does not cost to much.

mro

Comment

Hey Ron,

The act of grinding gears sounds more like you may have some bent or badly worn shift forks, shift drum. Again, the countershaft and associated gears and shift drum can be removed WITHOUT splitting the cases, just going in thru the bottom and the side covers and clutch removed!

You sound very knowledgeable and skilled, so I'm sure you can do it precisely. But I would think that most folks that have had the gear problems have only needed to replace the gears/shift forks on the countershaft, not the pinion gears on the primary shaft.
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

grinding into 4th

My tranny grinds going into 4th as well . Sometimes there seems to be a neutral between 4th and 5th - scarey
                      XJ1100K
                      Avon rubber
                      MikesXS black coils
                      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                      MikesXS front master
                      Progressive fork springs
                      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Hey Axel,

If you'll review this Trans explanation by Steve Borenstein you'll see why you/we all have a false neutral between 4th and 5th gear.....very common!

But grinding gears is/should not be common. What rpm are you shifting at, and are you using the clutch? Are you sure you've released/eased off the throttle a bit while attempting to shift? If you're trying to accel before you're fully engaged in gear, then you might experience some grinding when the gears finally try to mesh!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

shifting

If I try to shift positively and do all the things you suggested ,I can get a shift with no grinding , but not quite every time . It takes a bit of focus . If i'm tired or distracted or different boots all contribute to the grinding . I'm shifting anywhere from 4k to 6k using the clutch .Sometimes I speed shift with everything happening very fast but lately I'm trying to take it easier . I'm suspecting swing arm bearing play or some play in the driveshaft because I hear a click when I shift this way . I'll read the article .
                          XJ1100K
                          Avon rubber
                          MikesXS black coils
                          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                          MikesXS front master
                          Progressive fork springs
                          YICS Eliminator

Comment

you mean to tell me that neautral between 4&5 isn't just me missing a shift
                            ALL this time I thought I needed to move the shifter more (longer throw),
                            1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                            "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                            My Photo Bucket

Comment

I can do that on ony one of my bikes if the shift isn't complete. I wouldn't worry about past shifting and concentrate on sticking each gear.

Originally posted by renegade_xs11g
                              you mean to tell me that neautral between 4&5 isn't just me missing a shift
                              ALL this time I thought I needed to move the shifter more (longer throw),
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X