xj1100 noise near idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 noise near idle

So i got my xj running and up to about 2000rpm it kinda sounds like a gravel crusher. somtimes the sound disappears. the bike runs very smoothly from idle all the way up. any idea what the sound could be caused by? If i have to tear the engine apart, so be it. if i can get away without tearing it apart, great
    K. Johnson
    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
    triple clean and boots
    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
    $500 including new rear tire.

Loose cam chain. Check the tech tips for the correct procedure for adjusting the cam chain slack adjuster. Do this before you start the engine, just in case. If you cam chain is that loose, you stand a very real chance of slipping a tooth or so. If that happens, you will bend one or more valves and need to do a top end rebuild. Again - DO NOT START THE ENGINE AGAIN until you check the cam chain according to the procedure.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

If you have a lot a miles on it might check how much adjustment is left on tensioner. If chain stretched enough that it's out of the adjustment range...new chain time

mro
      btw,
      cam chain can be replaced w/o removing head.

Comment

It kinda looks like new chain time. I extended the tensioner as far as it would go and the noise got bit quieter. i think the chain is out of the tensioner limits by a bit. will try a new chain and see what happens to the noise with fingers crossed.
        K. Johnson
        triple clean and boots

Comment

I managed to get the cam chain replaced. some of the noises went away, but the one that bothered me remained. i proceeded to remove the engine to dismantle on my work bench. next time i lift it, i will have someone help me. it wasn't to heavy, just awkward. after taking off the oil pan, i inspected inside with a flashlight. i saw something loose in the crank area. i pulled it out and identified it as a piece of the primary chain guide. so goes the story. i am just waiting for some tools and parts to arrive and I will continue dismantling to see if anything else is damaged and to replace the chain guide.

from what i can see, all the dogs on the transmission gears are perfect so it doesn't look like i'll need to do any work on them.
          K. Johnson
          triple clean and boots

Comment

Hey KJ, I think you're lucky...and smart. Lucky the little piece you found didn 't do any aparant damage, and you were smart enough to take it apart before you rode it again. Ha. She's lucky to have you.
            Geno

Comment

I think that the proper terminology has something to do with having a specific silver object lodged in a certain part of one's anatomy . I will know how lucky I am once I get it all apart.

I am fairly paranoid with "new" vehicles when I get them. Usually ends up making work for me, but makes them that much better in the end.
              K. Johnson
              triple clean and boots

Comment

Working...
              X