Still no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no start

I can not get my bike to start. I have spark and fuel but no running bike. I tried starting fluid to see if it will fire but it will not.
    I installed a new head gasket and I checked the timing setup five times. I have installed new coils from mikesxs site. were do the wires from the connectors onto the coils (red and white) (gray and orange) which is + and - ? I am going crazy! I what to get this bike running I love the way it rides.

Hey Monfortzoo,

The chassis red/white wires go to the positive coil terminals, the Orange/ gray to the negative terminals, one for each pair, hope you kept track of which was 1-4 and which was 2-3, I can't remember off the top of my head which is which! Like you said you have spark, but it may not be in the right time/position!?

Have you done a comp test just to check to make sure you have decent level of comp in each cylinder?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hi i might sound silly but do you turn your "tap" to prime before you start her up

Comment

Still no start

I Still can not start my bike I have fuel, spark and compression but no bang. I have set the timing by the book 3 times. I started to check the recifier resistances and one plug is ok and the other plug had melted together. I had to braek the plug apart When it came apart I continued the check and found a few open connections When the book says you should have no more than 10 ohms differance just one side higher than th other when you swap leads. Could that cause my now start problem?

Also when I checked the voltage on the small plug it was 1.6 ohms and while starting it went to .9 ohms and did not inrease to 9 to 10 volt when the RPM came up.

Comment

If battery voltage drops below somewhere around 10 volts TCI will not work. Bad/drained battery or a starter that draws too much power can do this. (can try jumper cables to your cage)
          Read a few of your previous posts.
          Did you check the compresson?
          Did you double check the wireing of the coils you installed.

After trying to start...
          pull a plug and see if it's wet with gas.
          Weak spark and/or too much fuel can keep it from starting too.
          Since your getting spark and it cranks the "kill" switch should be OK. Not sure if the 81's have any other safety devices that can keep it from starting other than the tip over switch.

Do you have stock air box and exhaust?
          Any other mods or new parts installed?
          When you did the carbs, did you set floats to 23mm and bench test em? Pilot screws set to 1 1/4 turns out?

mro

Comment

btw

if you twist the throttle when trying to start before it fires bike will not start.

mro

Comment

The white wires are connected with a plastic clip behind the fuse panel. If that has melted, you will have charging troubles, but should not affect starting if the battery is good. The kill switch on the handlebar should be in the middle position (in case your text has worn off). Your tip-over switch can be bad, your choke should be pulled out all the way with no throttle when starting but you should prime the carbs with the petcock if your bike has sat a while.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X