Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help reassembiling a 1978 xs 11

Hello!

I need some help reassembling a '78 xs 11, I bought it to work on over the winter, and I feel I can do the work, but I would love some assistance in getting it back together again! I have all of the parts for the bike except the original key and ignition lock, however, I have acquired those as well. My main concern is the proper routing of the wiring harness on the frame, as I am not sure where to "put" everything... Anyone got any pictures, or ideas?

Thanks so much!!!!

Go in to your profile and add in a location. THis will tell people where you are, so thay can consider if they're close enough to help. Also use the search tool to look for 'shop manual' info. There are a few different ones available. IIRC, the Yamaha shop manual has a comprehensive layout diagram for the wiring harness.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Also go get yourself the clymers repair book for your bike.

Comment

Hey! You made it! Good deal. You were able to get a peek at the new site before many here have. SHHHHHH! It's a secret.

I do believe the factory service manual has the correct routing diagram for the wiring harness in it, but IIRC the Clymers doesn't. The factory manual is a bit more expensive and a bit harder to find, but worth it, IMHO. Either manual is absolutey invaluable for a rebuild though.

One of the first things you'll want to do with that wiring (after installing it, of course) is replace the factory fuse box with an inline fuse holder box. The factory box is notorious for crapping out. Will save you much headache later.

Be sure to search the tech tips and the forums, as there is a wealth of info here just waiting to help you get the beast back on the road. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask though. Many good people here are just itching to advance towards guru status..answers will flow forth like water.
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hey MFannan,

IF you'll go to This Site, Yamah's Parts Fiche system and then go to the 7th SERVICE DATA part once you find the 78 xs1100, you'll find a great diagram of the layout of the wiring, all of the components, etc.! I can't post it here, it won't direct link, but you can copy it, zoom in on it, etc!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X