Rt turn signal intermittant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rt turn signal intermittant

79 SF, had problem with speedo, had to replace. After replacement, right turn signal stopped working. Checked bulbs, right rear bad (per ohmeter). Replaced bulb, wouldn't work with key on but bike not running. Started bike and it worked. Thought it was fixed. Next ride, worked at start but then quit. Got back home, stopped bike, tried jiggling keyswitch, kill switch and turn switch and it started again.

Where to start? (Most linely candidate)

I have wiring diagram and will troubleshoot when weather gets warmer but just wondering if anyone had same?

Tnx Fred

I had a broken wire at the plug where the blinker handlebar controls plug into the rest of the harness (under the tank) that caused similiar symptoms.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

If u have self cancelling turn signals, check the speedo unit thingie... if they worked before. You might try changing the... erm... 3 pole connector box/tube thingie under the right side cover (under the seat) and replace it with the cheapest car item... The ones for Yugo work best (tested on kawasaki... I **** u not)
      Other than that.... wiring...

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Re: Rt turn signal intermittant

Originally posted by fgcox1
        79 SF, had problem with speedo, had to replace. After replacement, right turn signal stopped working. Checked bulbs, right rear bad (per ohmeter). Replaced bulb, wouldn't work with key on but bike not running. Started bike and it worked. Thought it was fixed. Next ride, worked at start but then quit. Got back home, stopped bike, tried jiggling keyswitch, kill switch and turn switch and it started again.

Fred, I don't think it is a broken wire if it works intermittantly. I guess what you are saying is that the filiments go on but do not blink when you apply the signal switch. If even one filiment is burned out the signal will not draw enuf amps to make the blinker mechanism operate. Another thing that prevents the blinker from properly operating (low amps) is having one or more corroded connections in the bulb socket(s) or any of the wire connectors or fuse connectors. Turning the key switch on will power the runner lights and power the rest of the fuse block. If the main key switch has some corrosion, it can be cleaned or replaced. Others have found that "wiggling the key" back and forth can improve the connection which simply indicated where the problem might be. Don't discount a poorly charged battery as a culpret! If the turn signal at least illuminates the turn filiments in one directio but not the other, I would suspect that the switch at the handlebar needs cleaning.

If instead, the turn signal does not illuminate unless you HOLD the switch to the right or to the left, it could be indicative of a bad signal cancelling unit.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Working...
        X