I got a little problem.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACE
    rOOsty i just read this thread and found it interesting.
    If alot of us haven't had the second gear problem it sounds like the odds happening in the futer are good that it will.
    i'm interested on how your fix turns out.
    Let us know!
    If you had to do it over again would you pull the engine to do this?
    Or at least flip the bike on its handle bars?
    I don't know as I would try this but pulling the gears looking and working upside down seems like a real pain to!
    Good luck
    ACE
    Hey there Ace,
    I had my bike since it was born, drove it for 9 years before the 1st gear problem reared it's ugly head, and then second gear happened shortly thereafter. It's an inherent design flaw of this bike, and I didn't really hammer mine much at all, just the occasional hop start. The first gear gets worn alot by shifting from neutral into 1st with it running....that noticeable clunk is the sound of the spinning gear stopping when it makes contact, that it where a lot of the wear occurs, same thing going thru neutral into second, and the lower gears are used/shifted thru much more often than the higher ones. Third gear is actually undercut at the factory which greatly reduces it's chances for this symptom to occur in it.
    I have done the dremmel fix on two bikes, my own with the engine pulled for topend/piston/ring work, and so was able to turn it upside down. The second was an 82XJ, and turning it upside down is easier than pulling the engine. I highly recommend it..keeps the shift forks from falling out on your face, and you don't have to fight gravity to work on it. I'm glad R00sty enjoys getting on his back and doing benchpresses with the XS, but I don't , just my opinion.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X