Front Flat!! X 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options!

"I am wondering how the wheel has anything to do with it when my hole(s) were on the tire side of the tube."
    Hi Audi,
    What the wire wheel did was force you to use a tube in the first place. With a cast wheel you have the option of using a tubeless tire instead of a tire & inner tube.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

until this thread I thought you had to use a tube with the cast front wheel. Like GI JOE "Now I know, and knowing is half the battle"
      Thanks guys
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

FYI,

In mid-'79 Yamaha changed from tube rims to tubeless. If your rim does not have the embossed words "SUITABLE FOR TUBLESS"

Then DO NOT put a tubeless tire on it.

Comment

Now that hat is mentioned, I don not believe that is tamped on my original rim. That is probably why when I bought it it came with a tube in it.
          Atleast the PO wasnt as dumb as he felt after I went back by his house after cleaning it up and getting it runnin.
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

"In mid-'79 Yamaha changed from tube rims to tubeless. If your rim does not have the embossed words "SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS" then DO NOT put a tubeless tire on it."
            Hi Randy,
            my experience differs. I have a cast front wheel that does NOT have that tubeless approval note stamped in the spoke web and the tubeless tire I put on it has stayed inflated just fine, nor has it popped off the beads despite the heavy work it does cornering a sidecar rig.
            Clean up the rim beads nicely smooth and shiny with a nylon pot scouring pad & dish soap. Do the same with the beads on the tire. Make sure the valve stem seals properly. Put the tire on with lots of tire soap and pump her up. If it's still the same pressure the next day you ain't got one of the very rare rims that were cast too porous to hold air. If the tire does go flat, double check for bead leaks & stem leaks then cest la vie, swap the wheel out or put a tube in the bastard.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

That would be wired spokes, the kind that when too much torque is applied break. Ask me how I know
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I've got both a 78 and a 79 front rim in my garage that I am looking at right now. The 79 is labeled "suitable for tubeless" and the 78 is not. The 79 rim has a small ridge along the outside perimeter that allows for proper sealing for a tubeless tire. If someone wants to run tubeless on a 78, that's their ass not mine. But I would never recommend it.
                Mark Stanton
                78XS11e

Comment

Hi Mastan,

I would like to see a pic of your rims, if you can do it!

We have had a debate on the UK site about tube vs tubeless rims; I have rims marked "tube only" and "tubeless" in my garage, and cannot see any differerence between 'em.

My bike has a later (4:00x17) rear rim fitted, which has obvious extra lips for the tubeless tyre to seat on, but my XS rims all look the same......... Tubed and tubeless.

Any comments or pictures?

AlanB
                  If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Alan:
                    At the moment I have tires mounted on both rims so I can't take a picture for you. I had them both off earlier this year and did see a noticeable difference. I don't know whether to call it a ridge or a lip, but it's there. I've seen pics posted on this site showing the two rims side by side.
                    Mark Stanton

Comment

Hi Mark,

I will try to put pics of my rims up here soon!

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                      X