feeling pretty dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling pretty dumb

ok i was welding the bracket for the trunk brace on my bike ( and no this is the dumb part i did not disconect the battery terminals)
    after the weld job the bike started one time

, since then the only way i can get it to start is to by pass the starter button, not sure if may be i fried the starter Solenoid or what i know it could be anything ..and i know i got some razzin comming for this should have been a no brainer to disconect the battery
    1980 xs1100
    1981 xs 400
    1982 verago 750

Hey Cowboy,

IF the bike will actually start, then it's not so bad, at least you didn't fry your TCI! It may be just coincidental. You can take a test lead for the small wire that comes from the solenoid that normally runs to the handlebar switch, which is just completing the circuit to ground, and you can jump that wire to a known good ground. IF the solenoid works, then it's just a matter of reestablishing the ground at the starter switch.

But if it doesn't work, then it may be damaged, but folks have reported being able disassemble it and clean the internal contacts that might return it to service!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

feeling dumb

that sounds like the best place to start to me, i havent touched my bike since yesterday trying to give my self time to think ,but couldnt come up with anything solid

thanks for the tip ill give it a shot on friday when im off work
      1980 xs1100
      1981 xs 400
      1982 verago 750

Comment

good catch TC

well i went back and looked at the wires real close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        i had for got to reconect the ground fot the starter switch....
        now that was a pain to learn from

on the other hand the bike still stops running after a few min
        took a ride with gas cap open blew out the tube coming out from gastank not sure what to next .......how about step beck and punt!

thanks for the help TC
        1980 xs1100
        1981 xs 400
        1982 verago 750

Comment

Hey Cowboy,

Back to basics, fuel/air/spark. When it dies, check for spark, if not, then troubleshoot for that.

IF still spark, check for presence of fuel. I can't recall, but looks like you have a Standard, your profile just says 80 XS11, but not Std/Spcl?? Std uses vacuum controlled petcocks, cracks in vacuum lines, clogged fuel lines, worn diaphragm inside petcock, etc., troubleshoot accordingly.

Good luck!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X