Will pay money for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will pay money for help

I have pulled and cleaned and adjusted till I am blue in the face. I have adjusted the carbs to spec so many times, I can do it in my sleep. Now, I think the new needles are leaking because I can't get the needles to quit running over. My throttle cable just broke (didn't look very good before). I don't have time for this anymore. I just bought the bike to ride not to fix everyday. if someone can help me out, I would be glad to pay for it. Otherwise the bike will have to go. The wife already hates it and she wanted to get it to go riding. We have gone 3.5 miles this year. Thanks for any help that I can get. I am in the southwestern Chicagoland area.
    1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
    1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
    1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

If there is no one in your area, you may be able to mail them to someone with a 70's bike and have them get them up to par on their bike and ship them back. I would offer, but mine is an '81.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

From what I'm told, these are a compilation of parts from different years. At least that was what I was told from the pictures before.

Comment

Went back and read some of your posts.
        Question...
        Have you removed the metal plug covering the pilot screw?
        Few things about pilot screw,
        that circut can not be cleaned propery w/o taking it out

later carbs pilot screw have an "O" ring and washer under screw ("O" ring can deteriate and allow it to suck air)

When using aftermarket filters and exhaust sometimes can adjust pilot screw out enough to compensate w/o having to go up a size on the pilot jet, (sometimes not )

mro
        btw, float height makes a difference at all RPM levels.
        When setting em, a half mm difference between em is too much.
        Make sure both sides of a float are even.
        If your still having carb problems...
        write down all jet sizes, float height, mods and what you've done so far.
        (you've been here on the forum for awhile so I'm taking for granted that any other issues, (like pick-up coil wires etc have been checked)

Comment

I would offer

He's got mods...
          So not tuneable on another bike

mro

Comment

Thanks, yes, I have replaced the wires on the pickup coils. The big problem still, is that the carbs keep overflowing so there must be something in the needles. I reset them to 25 and they ran better of course that was in the garage because the throttle cable broke. I just feel like a calamity of errors. I wish I could see someone do it so I could then feel confident about it.

Comment

I had the same problem and could not figure it out. It proved to be blocked vent in the air box so with or with out an air box the carb bowl vents MUST be clear and free flowing. If you remove the carbs again "bench" test them. I tested my float needle valve seal with a vac pump. If the valves held a vac I knew they were sealing fully. Also make sure the floats move completely freely on their pins or thee will be problems. Once the carbs are put back together bench test then with gas in a well ventilated place while NOT SMOKING. i used a tiny funnel I had and filled the fuel supply lines to see if the seal between the needles and seats was working normally.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Set floats to 23mm
                Later carbs, no vent hoses to air box.

I've tried a few different float height settings on my 80G.
                Do not care for the "pinging" but it will only run strong at the recommended height. Hmm...maybe I'll mess around a little with the timing before I drill the mains out a size.

mro

Comment

btw,
                  25 mm is way lean on later carbs.

mro

Comment

The floats move up and down fine. When I checked them on the bench with a small gas tank no leaks. Maybe the vents are the problem. I am not sure what height (23 or 25) to use since they are different pieces of carbs. I noticed it seemed better at 25 but it was still running over so I still have a needle problem.

Comment

"running over" can be caused by the float hanging up as well as "bad" needles. If you look closely at the float needles you will notice that the little wire retainer which goes onto the float tab is not centered on the needle. may not make a difference but have always put em on so the wire retainer is "more on" the tab.

Raising float height (carbs upside down on bench) = less fuel in bowl and oppsite = more.

mro
                      btw, did not notice if you said the pilot screws are accessable or still have the plug over em???

Comment

I just took the wires off of the needles to try that. I just tried the bench test again with the bowls off. With the fuel tank 2 feet over carbs, they don't leak, but if I lift the float, they don't flow either. If I tip the carbs right side up they flow, but then each time one of the needles hangs and keeps flowing when inverted again.[IMG]I:\DCIM\101_FUJI\DSCF1409.JPG[/IMG] . This what the floats look like. Don't they look incorrect? What portion of the float are you measuring from? Thanks,

Doug

Comment

[IMG]I:\DCIM\101_FUJI\2.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Lets try this instead.

http://thepcguy.myvnc.com/xs1100/

Comment

OK, i bench tested them again. I think the needles are the problem. They don't want to flow and then when they do, they don't want to stop. After I buttoned them up this time with no adjustments, I can not get the bike to run. No gas flowing. I think the vitons may be the problem. The steels that were in there didn't do this. I have checked everything I can possibly think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X