Someone screwing around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone screwing around

Left work yesterday and I noticed my front end shaking like crazy, pulled over to a gas station and had less then 20lbs of air in the front tire. I thought it was kinda strange because I just installed a new tire on it Saturday. It wasnt like that when i was driving it to work. So i thought I might of ran something over on the way to work. Went home parked the bike around 3:30pm and checked it again before I went to bed at 10:30 still holding, checked it again at 5:30am this morning and still holding not even a single PSI lost. I would love to get my hands on the person that let the air out. Nothing Pisses me off more then someone screwing around. Sorry just had to vent.

I installed a right angle valve stem on the front when I changed tires a few months ago. The next day it had lost about 10 pounds (on my carport) so I aired it up again and it has held ever since. Strange.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Someone did mess with it. I forgot to mention that it was also missing the valve steam cap. I talked to the head boss of the hospital and hes looking into putting in a camera for the bike parking and im making it known to people about what happen and the camera thats going in.

jason

Comment

stupid.

people dont know the effect of just a small prank. that could have caused an accident!
        1979 Eleven Special - 26,000 miles.

Comment

Man no kidding the potential there is just not good especially on the front. I guess this would reinforce the pre ride inspection, even if the bike has been parked. Ill admit I do go over my bike before setting out especially tire pressures however I cant ever recall rechecking tire pressures etc after having been parked somewhere for a while. This unfortunately is something that Ill try to look out for and keep in the back of my mind the next time im parked some where for a while.

Comment

I would personally like to see them put in a camera and NOT tell anyone about it or the incident! Catch who is doing it and get their azz out of that place! (Right after we had a nice little "chat" out back... )

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

i also had security fill out a report. There calling it crimal vandalisim of private property. sorry for the spelling.

Comment

Tod,
                I like your idea of settling things "mano a mano". Any sneaky bast*rd who would bleed a front tire down would probably mess with your brakes or something else. We all dream about being able to confront that kind of individual in a smoking gun scenario.
                80 G "The Beast"
                81 H "The Dresser"
                79 XS650 II
                82 650 Maxim
                70 DT-1 Enduro
                66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Hey Bikenutt....Do you have an enemy at work? Maybe you could "smoke" him out... Seriously though that's total BS...hope you catch the person. Maybe get him/her charged with attempted murder! How cool would that be!
                  XS 1100 LG

Comment

I would love to get my hands on who ever it was. I plan on riding it tomorrow and will check it through out the day. Also thinking of getting a alarm. I seen a few that will page you if your alarm is going off. Of course I would take the siren off so i could catch them in the act.

Comment

Originally posted by GtrMn
                      "smoke" him out...
                      ok im slow tonight i just got it. LOL

Comment

XS 1100 LG

Comment

Id smoke out more then him plus a few doctors. I notice that where I parked a guy on a blue HD parks there when I dont ride the bike so it could of been him and just PO'd that I took "his" parking spot. I know what time he comes to work so im going to just happen to run into him and just make small talk and go from there.

Comment

Hmm maybe time to nudge his bike over...
                            XS 1100 LG

Comment

Hi Guys,

Sorry to interupt your dreams of revenge, but there might just be no-one else involved.

Modern bike tyres generally use the same style of beads whether tubed or tubeless, so even tube-type tyres will seal against the rim.

When you install a new tyre and tube, the only way for the air which is INSIDE the tyre, but OUTSIDE the tube to escape is past the outside of the valve stem. If the rubber of the tube is against the rim, it will make a pretty good seal, so the tyre can be inflated to full pressure, but still have a pocket of air trapped between the tube and the tyre.

This trapped air will usually leak away over a couple of days, the tube will then be the proper size and shape, but have lost pressure. Once it has been taken back to full pressure, it should stay there for ever.

When I install tubed tyres, I generally inflate them just enough to hold the shape, then push the valve back into the tyre a bit. I am usually rewarded by a rubbery Fart, as air escapes from between the tyre and the tube.

If I forget to do this, I can look forward to the pressure dropping by about 10psi over the next few days........

If the tyre is tubeless, this (obviously!) cannot happen.

AlanB
                              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...
                              X