Second jumped today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second jumped today

I bought the 82xj about three weeks ago. It has 105000km on it. Had not been ridden a lot the last couple of years so it ran a bit rough at first. I am a great believer in high test and high speed to clean them out. It has worked well, now it runs fairly well. I don't wanna work on it when I can ride it. But today when I really ran it hard in second the tranny slipped. I am hoping that with some less aggressive runs in first and second that it will hold together for a while yet. Anyone had them last after the first time the gears slip?

PS: I just love the beast. I also think this is the best forum that I have ever been on.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Maybe your carbs need syncronized.

Comment

Hey Olebiker,

Some folks have reported their 1st gear going out, and just used 2nd on up for years. There's enough of an rpm range that you should be able to rev it up in 1st and skip 2nd and go into 3rd and up. 2nd may hold for a while especially if you don't put too much stress on it, but it's worn and will be failing in a while anyways! My1st went out first, so just started using it lightly and went to 2nd, but it failed a few months later, so I parked it not wanting to do more damage, just took me 9 years to get back to it to fix it! There's lots of info in the TECH TIPS on doing the Dremmel fix, best to look at 1st while you're doing 2nd. Check out Ken Talbot's pages as well, he notes using the diamond covered bits instead of the stone ones, and may work better, especially for the slots in 1st!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Now exactly what do you mean by a slip?? Was it slipping like clutches slip... or did it feel and sound sort of like you were sitting on a machine gun?? Gears don't "Slip"... it almost sounds like clutches to me, which is a MUCH simpler fix!!

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
          Now exactly what do you mean by a slip?? Was it slipping like clutches slip... or did it feel and sound sort of like you were sitting on a machine gun?? Gears don't "Slip"... it almost sounds like clutches to me, which is a MUCH simpler fix!!

Tod
          Sorry I used the word slip. It was the tranny. There is no doubt about what happened.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

And TC,

I found a small carbide tip for the dremmel that is actually a little smaller than the chainsaw stones, and it worked GREAT for the lands on 1st gear. The little red stone worked great for the slots on 2nd and 3rd. It keeps the slots nice and evenly rounded. I tried the carbide tip there first, and the dogs wouldn't hit them evenly since it wasn't all rounded the same. One stone fixed all of the gears I used it on.. slots and even finished rounding all the dogs with it, and the stone still looks great. Bought an extra but never needed it.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own