Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "sometimes " problem

I'm so glad to find this forum.
    I have an 80 xs 1100 that has a peculiar problem that only happens sometimes. When I'm driving if i let the throttle off a bit, it's as if it drops to 3 (or maybe 2) cylinders. I have to put in the clutch and let it idle for a sec (while coasting), then it comes back on all 4. sometimes it happens alot, other times rarely. Doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold. I cannot get the problem to occur in the while not driving. in the garage, seems to run perfect. Today it was so bad i could hardly get through the gears because every time i let off the slightest, boggggg. Then for a few miles, just fine.

Where do i start?

thank-you

Start by searching for information on 'pick up coil wires', and go from there. You have the common symptoms...

Comment

that search led me to some promising threads. looks like the first thing to look at

Comment

Hey, hoser, Canada's pretty wide from side to side. There's getting to be a few of us Canaucks here on the forum, maybe even someone in your general area if you would care to be a bit for specific.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

(or maybe 2) cylinders
          More than likely 2..it was on mine anyway.
          The vacuum advance moves those wires a lot. However...don't forget the wires outside of the cover...mine was broken there too.
          XS 1100 LG

Comment

Hey Hoser,

Aside from searching the Forums, just go to the main forum page, and scroll down to the TECH TIPS, lots of info there including the Pickup Coil Wire repair tip and such! Welcome, you'll be hitting on all 4 before you know it!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

took off the cover and found black tape on all of the wires from previous repairs. One came right apart with a small tug
              fixed the wires with solder an shrink wrap as suggested here, made sure all the wire "holders" were loose so the wires could move and put it back together.

runs perfectly now. Up and down the road and no problems at all.
              An easy, cheap fix.

thanks XS11

Comment

Working...
              X