Fram oil filter for XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fram oil filter for XJ1100

Hey there was at Murray's Auto Parts today looking for oil filter for another bike when i stumbled upon a oil filter for our Maxim's.
    It is a Fram brand oil filter complete with small and large o rings.
    The part number is CH6002. I believe it was 4 bucks. By the way I also purchased Sea Foam from them too. I have never seen Sea Foam being sold by Murray's before. Hopefully they will be stocking it from now on.

Hey Flash
    I have been using the fram filter for the past 2 summers ( 3 oil changes ) and the only issue I have with it is the big O-ring that seals the housing to the engine is just a little big in diameter and doesn't sit completely flat in the groove. All three filter kits had the same issue. Being very carefull on assembly I have not had any leaks yet.
    Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
    XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Hey Op,

I had posted this info about a year ago; I thought it was in a tech tip, but just searched, nope, so it's on my TODO list!

Here's a list of brands and oil filter's that will work:

autozone SP2

Napa 4933

STP: SMO-2

Wix 24933

Fram CH6002

**Make sure it has BOTH rubber O-rings in the kit, one for the chamber, the small one for the filter bolt!**
      T.C.

PS, EZMoney, folks have posted about dipping O-ring in hot water for a while to get it to lay flat, and also putting a small amount of grease in the bowl groove to help keep it down while fitting it back up!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would never use one of thos stp filters again. Come time to change it, the filter element shattered into many tiny fragments.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58

STP: SMO-2
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
          I would never use one of thos stp filters again. Come time to change it, the filter element shattered into many tiny fragments.

Strange...I used them for a few years, until the AutoZone stopped carrying them. Never had a problem with them. I think they were made at the same plant that makes the Fram filter, as the label on the pkg that the O rings came in was the exact same as the pkg in the Fram filter.
          Last edited by John; 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I used to use the STP filters for my suzuki bandit. For some reason havent seen them at several autoparts stores lately. Thats when I noticed the Fram's and decided to give em a try. Just did the oil change on the bandit. Maybe the STP's are garbage. However I never noticed any problems with them especially the filter element crumbling like you stated.

Comment

The o-rings that came with the Wix are much wasier to deal with than the o-rings that came with the Frams. My 2 cents...
              Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
              '09 Buell Ulysses
              '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

For the Canadian's on line.....the Fram is available at Canadian Tire for approx $8.99.......I have been using it for quite a few years now with no problem....as long as the large O-ring is flattened out first. Appreciate the hot water tip....thanks
                "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
                84xj1100
                82xj1100

Comment

Best Filter

I spent a lot of time on this one. The best rated filter by all and I mean all of the consumer groups, independent labs & major publications related to the motorcycle industry is the "pure 1" filter by purolator.

Floyd
                  '80G

Comment

Working...
                  X