XS 1100 Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 1100 Oil

I prefer Budwiser , but i was wondering what some of you folks use for engine oil. Like brands and weight. What kind of luck with it. Etc.
    Thanks

Valvoline DuraBlend, 20W-40.
    Cheap and not too bad... gonna change it in bout 1000 miles, then every 3000. If it works out. Did well in the kawasaki.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Can of worms!!

Oooooh Ace,

You've opened up a can-o-worms with this one!! Have you gone to the tech tips section and read about OIL? I highly suggest it. Oil and tire and gas threads have been run into the ground on these lists, and you'll get a hundred different suggestions, or at least 4 or 5, so you'll need to make your decision based on knowledge, your location, climate, type of driving,etc.,and this info is what you'll find in the tech tips. Also, do a search among the threads already here, and you'll find plenty of discussions as well.

Ducking for cover! T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well it seems i'm always grtting into trouble!
        I'll look at the tec tips.

Comment

Well if you want my opinion, a mandatory oil thread is OK once every winter

Here is the stuff I use in the XS and Bandit:

In one of the following two weights....

SAE 20W-50: meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection and provides a higher level of thermal stability and provides an added level of synthetic protection versus conventional oils.

Castrol Syntec Blend Truck, SAE 15W-40: Meets the toughest industry standards for volatility protection. It delivers maximum viscosity protection, provides a higher level of thermal stability, reduces harmful deposits and provides superior wear protection. Carries the spec for API CH-4.

Works for me.....about $2 a quart in the US and available everywhere.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

i use any good quality 20-50 in the xs and bonnie (castrol),and fully synthetic in the suzi and triumph (mobil 1 or shell) gary, have you had any problems with clutch slip in the xs with the semi-synthetic? i'm gonna give it a try(is it the same name in uk?)
            Last edited by chopper; 12-22-2002, 01:49 PM.
            mick
            xs1.1s(x2)
            gsxr1100(1127)
            gsx1100g(x2)
            trophy900
            bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

No problems at all in the XS or Bandit.....no slip, works perfectly, I like it. I use the Mobil 4T full synthetic in the Triumph or regular Mobil 15W-50 full synthetic, no problems there either. Right now I am putting Mobil Delvac Super 1300 (15W-40) in the wife's 2001 Honda Nighthawk....I do not have any oil related problems in any of our bikes.
              Gary Granger

Comment

Hello folks,
                I went looking today and saw valvoline 20/50 racing oil, don't remember the number.
                I't seems to me this is a good weight for year round since i really don't do any winter riding.
                I don't mean to open up worms but you guys have been fiddling wiyh this since i've retired the last 14 years.
                Ask me about the cummings diesiel, i'll ask about 1100!
                I really missed this old bike!

Comment

Cummings?

Hey ACE - not an ex-Cummings man are you?

Good Mate of mine has just finished working for them over here in the UK.

I'd hate to sit between you too in a bar tho' - he's pretty keen to talk diesels at EVERY opportunity
                  XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
                    Right now I am putting Mobil Delvac Super 1300 (15W-40) in the wife's 2001 Honda Nighthawk....I do not have any oil related problems in any of our bikes.
                    Why Delvac in only the Nighthawk? I've been happy with using Rotella in my XS11.
                    Robert
                    79 SF

Comment

Robert wrote:

Why Delvac in only the Nighthawk? I've been happy with using Rotella in my XS11.

Well actually around here the Mobil Delvac is easier to find than the Shell Rotella, from the info I have seen, either is excellent if a high quality conventional oil is required. The Mobil is also in a cool looking 1 gallon bottle . We started off with the Honda GN4 convetional oil, and just switched to the Delvac when the warantee was up on the Nighthawk. I may however switch hers to the Castrol if I can find a deal on it...cost is double though.
                      Gary Granger

Comment

I have been using Shell Rotella for the last couple of years in all my vehicles. Very pleased with it. Cost is around $1.55 /quart. I usually get it in the 1 gallon container. Walmart carries it in the 1 gal and 1 quart sizes.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

For about 14 years i owned and operated my own truck.
                          This included many memorable hours working on it. YEE HAA!
                          I never really considered useing 15/40 since this is what i used in in my diesil, shell rotella. I.m no oil expert, I did have goog luck with it for many years.
                          I've always heard Quaker State, Castoil, Vavoline were some of better brands. I've used others in cars and trucks with no real problems.
                          Shell and Mobile were the only ones i used in the semi.
                          I'm not fully sold on synsetics, good oil but does the price justify it? I like to change oil often anyway to see whats going on inside.

Comment

Working...
                          X