Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help Please!

Hey all:
    Just went out to take my 78XS for a ride and it doesn't want to run. Cylinders 1&2 don't seem to be firing. The pipes get warm, but don't fry the back of my hand like 3&4 do. The plugs on 3&4 fouled immediatly. I've never done the coil wire pick up fix. I'm thinking it's either that or it's not getting fuel to those two cylinders. Which petcock supplies fuel to the 1&2 cylinder?
    TIA,
    Mark Stanton
    78XS11e

It shouldn't be the coils or pickup coils. The 1+4 cylinders are fired by one and the 2+3 are fired by the other. Sounds like a fuel problem. Not sure how you have your fuel lines set up. Mine are opposite sides because I'm running filters.
    XS 1100 LG

Comment

If it's still in the stock configuration, the petcock on each side delivers fuel to the two cyliders closest to it. Owned my bike 2 years and can still never remember which side #1 is on....pitiful.

On a side note:

Am I the only one who giggles every time I see the word petcock? Sometiemes I'd swear I'm 12 years old again....
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I'd try putting both on reserve and see what happens.
        XS 1100 LG

Comment

It's a stock configuration. I would think that the left petcock supplies the fuel for the 1&2 cylinder.
          He said petcock again.
          Mark

Comment

Yeap it does...you may have a clogged screen.
            XS 1100 LG

Comment

Hey Mark,

You've got the 78E, it has vacuum controlled fuel valves (for JW), check your vacuum lines, they can get cracked, and leak, and NOT open the valve to allow fuel to get to the carbs!

#3 and 4 are firing=hot pipes, so not sure how/why they are getting fuel fouled IF they are burning. Are plugs 1-2 dry or wet? IF dry, then not getting fuel, if fuel fouled, then you have a possible funky electrical problem, because as has been stated, those are not normally paired for electrical problems!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

on the 78 standard bike the fuel lines cross over each other under the carbs so left feels 3 & .. right feeds 1 & 2 that is unless it was changed at some point in the past .. Check for petcock operation first if this is a new issue
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Topcat:
                  Plugs 1&2 are dry. I think that 3&4 are fouled because I ran it on full choke for a few minutes trying to get it running. I will check those vacuum hoses tomorrow. BTW, the bike has been sitting for a couple of weeks.
                  Mark

Comment

Did you just wash it or has it been sitting it the rain ? If so pull the plugs from the carb bowls and check for water in the gas.
                    Fastmover
                    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                    lion". SHL
                    78 XS1100e

Comment

Update

Well, I just got home for the weekend and went out and tried to start my bike. It started rough, but I cycled the petcocks from on to reserve and back and bingo! It runs great. So, I guess it's a fuel delivery issue. Should I dig into the petcocks and rebuild or just wait until the problem comes back? Could it be that simple?
                      I'm thinking about selling the bike, so I don't want to sink any more money into it than I have to.
                      Mark

Comment

The petcocks may not even need to be rebuilt, but just cleaned out, you may have some prominent grundge in it, and just opening them up, cleaning them, rebend the wavy washer, and reassemble may be all you need, to at least keep it running until you decide what you're going to do with it! Sorry to hear that you're thinking of selling it, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Like T.C. said just need to be cleaned...Zero $ I'm sure there's simple info here on how to do it.
                          XS 1100 LG

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I should be able to knock this out tomorrow.
                            Yeah, I hate to sell it, but finances dictate. I've had $2,000 in car repair in the last two weeks and I ain't even done yet.
                            Now if I could find a sidecar, I may be able to convince swmbo that I'm keeping it as a family quality time thing!
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X