dual fuel filter routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual fuel filter routing

ok guys last saturday I thought I would do the right thing and change my fuel filters. i bought 2 new low pressure filters like the ones that were on the bike.
    but now the bike isnt running right ( running on 2 cylnders and fouling the two thats not running) so im not sure what gives, is there a special way you need to run the fuel lines with the filters?? and all this after fixing a broke wire on the pickup coil the week befor .....help
    1980 xs1100
    1981 xs 400
    1982 verago 750

If it's the filters, it should affect either 1-2 or 3-4. Remove the filter from the offending side and make sure it solves your running problem. If it does, then maybe the filter is bad or doesn't flow right somehow. Or possibly, you have it on backwards. Some only flow one way.

I don't know if it matters or not, but it would seem to me that having the filter pointing stright up and down when attached would promote better flow, too. That may not be easy to do depending on how much space you have for them.

All is not lost!!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

filter pointing stright up and down
      Not likely to happen if you've got a stock air box, but has not been a problem on my 80G, (one has to flow up into the fuel filter). Don't have in-lines on the specials, not too much room with the octopus. Hot rod with pod filters (no air box) in-lines at about 45 degree angle right before the fuel lines cross.

Could be the fuel filter but could also just be a coinsidence? and you have a carb or electrical problem???

mro

Comment

Yup... get a water bottle and with it running, spritz the pipes to see which are hot. If it's 1&4 or 2&3 not hitting it's electrical. If it's 1&2 or 3&4 it's fuel related.... more than likely. There could be something strange, but as a general rule that applies.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

fuel filters

ok guys i've been out side looking and here is where im at
          ... it runs rough checked the pipes with a thermocouple and get an 100 degree dif
          less on 2-3 pipes 1-4 are about 250 or better the plugs on 1-4 are getting fould black 2-3 are slite smoked look i changed the ignition modual and the coils with a set i already have no change

could there be something im missing????

could the carbs do this to the bike??
          where to go from here
          1980 xs1100
          1981 xs 400
          1982 verago 750

Comment

fuel filters

oh yea i forgot to tell everybody i also did the water bottle test
            1-4 sizzled 2-3 did'nt
            1980 xs1100
            1981 xs 400
            1982 verago 750

Comment

The pickup coil wires for 2&3 SHOULD be the first place to look. If it all of a sudden started this AFTER you changed the filters, check the wires under the tank and see if you didn't pull a wire loose from the 2&3 coil. You can also check the ground wires, as a bad ground on the coil will also cause a problem.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

running rough

ok I've looked at the pick up coil and im not real sure what wire goes where
                but i found a off color white wire that has been rubed bare in two spots looks like it was rubbing onplate with the timeing mark on it
                please excuse my lack of knowlage on the bike

i think that the wire with the bare spot is grounding it self out killing the other two cylnders.... it sounds good to me but at this point im guessing
                1980 xs1100
                1981 xs 400
                1982 verago 750

Comment

I would think you found it. Make sure they aren't eroded too much. If so, re-replace them. If not, tape them up well and make sure they are held down well by the clips in there.

Everyone here didn't know much about their bikes until they had to get into them...don't sweat it .
                  80 XS1100SG
                  81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

running rough

thanks for all the help

should all four cylnders get warm equaly at the same time ?
                    or dose 1-4 warm up more befor 2-3 ... or do you think i might have a week coil for those cylnders????
                    1980 xs1100
                    1981 xs 400
                    1982 verago 750

Comment

If a seat of the pants difference was to be seen 2 and 3 would run hotter then 1 and 4
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

running rough

Then i would guess that i have a week coil on those cylnders and try swaping that one out and see what happins
                        1980 xs1100
                        1981 xs 400
                        1982 verago 750

Comment

Working...
                        X