Oil cooler add on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler add on?

Does anyone have any experience adding on an oil cooler. I have a stock 78XS11E that gets real warm in stop and go traffic during the summer. I read in the forum search that some of the models came with coolers. Is it also possible to add an aftermarket type? If so, where would you tap the lines. To maximize its effect, I was thinking of installing a small low draw box fan in front of it, similar to what you see in computers for cooling. The ability to flip on the fan in slow traffic would seem like a good idea. I did post a "wanted" ad for a stock cooler, but if none are around I am looking for options. Thanks!
    Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Very differing opinions on the actual usefulness of an oil cooler. I personally think they are a good idea, other's don't so the choice remains up to you.

As to where to tap in, the stock oil cooler uses an adapter plate that mounts where the oil filter is. The plate goes on first, followed by a special hollow bolt. The hollow bolt is threaded on the inside to allow you to mount the oil filter housing and bolt on. The cooler's lines connect to this adapter.

The cooler itself mounts to the top front of the frame. If you look, you should see two threaded holes there.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

my bikes have coolers fitted,dont think it makes much "real world difference" this summer in holland we got caught in a massive tail back on the main highway(took 1.5-2 hrs to go 5 miles) and my bike was in a real state,burnt my leg on the fins,i thought it was gonna nip up,sounded like the oil was so thin...few hours later she was back to normal...it wont do any harm to fit a cooler,but dont expect miracles...thats my experience,for what its worth.
      mick
      xs1.1s(x2)
      gsxr1100(1127)
      gsx1100g(x2)
      trophy900
      bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Hmmm . . . Oil coolers. And lines. Hmmmm.

Read about my experience here: Well Oiled

And here: SPI BikeFest
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Oil cooler threads are fairly common...should make a tech tip out of one...

In the US, the 1981 "H" model came stock with an oil cooler. In Europe and other parts of the world other models had the factory cooler.

Installation of the stock unit consists of an adapter plate that mounts between the oil filter housing and crankcase. It includes and extension bolt; the stock oil filter bolt will screw into this extension. Cooler itself was mounted up under the steering head (Triple-T) to factory-supplied bolt holes. If you mount a frame-mounted fairing, such as a Windjammer, you may need to fabricate another mount. The "H" had a couple brackets welded to the down-tubes to secure the hoses from flexing and possible hitting the exhaust headers. Price for a used unit runs form $70 - $100. Most systems were black, but a few with chrome shrouds around the cooler element were produced. Lockhart and other companies made generic after-market coolers for the XS and other bikes.

Aftermarket coolers are still available, and either include an adapter plate or tap into the oil line that runs from the block to the head. (Right side of bike near #3 cylinder.) An option for these coolers is a thermal bypass valve that does not route oil to the cooler until it warms up to a pre-set level.

Pros:
          As far as I can find, the stock cooler will drop oil temps by around 15 - 20 deg F. In oil technologies this has advantages for oil longevity. If you are running long distances at highway speeds this can be beneficial. If you are running short trips at slower speeds you are not likely to see much advantage. If you are carrying a passenger or pulling a trailer, the cooler may help keep overall temps down.

Cons:
          More oil per change. Hoses need maintenance; originals are now 20+ years old and should be replaced on stock systems. Some non-stock exhaust systems may have clearance problems with the filter housing, as the stock adapter drops it by about 1/2 - 3/4 inch. Adds complexity to the bike; a leak in the system will put you out of business as well as making a huge mess.

Oil itself can cause some interesting discussions, but most quality oils today are not as susceptible to thermal breakdown as oils of 20 years ago. So, is a cooler a good idea? I plan to add one to my XJ, since I ride it mostly on long trips, weigh 240 pounds, and frequently pull a small trailer with a loaded weight of around 180 pounds. In addition, I live in Arizona, where summer riding temps frequently are over the 90 deg F mark and over 100 deg F many times.

However, I've been doing that for 2 years now without the cooler and have had no problems or indication that the oil I use (Shell Rotella) has ever overheated. Have never had cause for alarm due to engine noise, loss of power, or other indications that the bike was overheating.

Adding an oil cooler is mostly a peace of mind option, as the actual benefits will be hard to identify and measure. Still, I think they are a good idea if you want to take the time to fit one up and keep it maintained.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

In my experience, oil coolers can be both good and bad. As it has been said there are extra parts that are then able to fail. The important thing to remember is that an oil cooler only works when air is flowing through the fins such as a radiator. If you are trying to reduce the oil temp of the bike in stop and go traffic it may not be very beneficial. On the open road where the cooler can get air it would be more beneficial.

A good example is ATV workhorse, eg. yamaha grizzley. They are doing relatively low speeds and the oil coolers have electric fans installed on them.

What I try to do when i have extreme circumstances such as a traffic jam where the motor gets real hot is go home and cool it off and change the oil. When the oil gets hot for an extended period of time it begins to break down and is not able to lubricate the engine properly.
            Nathan

`79 XS 11 special
            `94 yamaha XT225
            `99-`03 Formula SAE racer

Comment

Coolers

Sure appreciate the replies. Jerry, you indicated that oil coolers with the adapter plates are still available for the XS11's. Can you tell me where to get one? If I get one installed, I will let folks know how it works out with an added cooling fan. My theory is that it should do some good, but I am interested in what kind of temp drop it creates. I have an infrared thermometer that can take readings off just about anything which will make it fairly simple to measure.
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I have a Lockhart oil cooler I got off Ebay on my 1100E. Uses the same plate under the oil filter as the stock Yamaha unit. I routed my lines a little differently that instructions showed. I have the Jardine "spageti headers". I can still get to the filter but they had the lines tied together and running up the middle. I angeled them outward and tied them to the downtubes. Almos a year later and no blistering of the lines at the closest spots to the exhaust (about 1/2"). Possible the oil running through the cooler will dissapate some of the heat via the extra surface area of the fins. Maybe not as much as moving. It can be any worse than no cooler at all. It may not keep it cool while sitting in stop and go traffic but should cool things down quicker to the next light.
                Also go a stock Yamaha cooler off Ebay for wifes XS750F. It's missing the adapter nut to bolt the plate to the bike (then filter to the plate). Anyone happen to have one laying around that the'd like to sell? Email me off-list.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I have a '79 F parts bike that has a cooler. I don't know if it is Yamaha's or an aftermarket. I am inclined to think the latter.
                  There are braided lines, and if I remember correctly the cooler itself does not match the color scheme. (blue or red?)
                  If you haven't already made a decision, and want to see this one, let me know. I can try to get you some pics.
                  Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Hey Pat
                    I have a 78E XS11 with a oil cooler on. The 4 into 2 makes the lines run clear of the exhaust. But... I am playing with the idea of putting on a 4 into 1 header. The exhaust of it doesn't allow a good clean route. Do you have any pics as to how you routed the oil lines up to the cooler from the filter?

thanks
                    Tom
                    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Sure appreciate the replies. Jerry, you indicated that oil coolers with the adapter plates are still available for the XS11's. Can you tell me where to get one?
                      I should clarify....used units are still available with the adapter plate, not sure if new units still have this option or not. (I bought a used stock Yamaha system to put on the XJ.)

Some discussion about the oil cooler being an option on US bikes other than the '81 H. Have not been able to confirm this, but is possilbe it was a dealer-installed option.

Sources of parts....this list, ebay, and go to the MC salvage yard list and look up yards in your area and give them a call.

Several salvage yard databases available on-line. Use your search engine (I use dogpile.com) for "motorcycle salvage yards" and see what you get. 1 list is at:

http://www.necycle.com/acers/

Good luck!
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Another con: Oil pressure light comes off a bit later... this is especially obvious between oil changes, when the bike is drained of all oil... well, my was.. had to crank it bout 10 secs before the light came off. When the cooler has oil in, the light goes off after 1-2 secs of cranking or emediatley if it starts right away (like mine always does, but has other problems).

OK, I was bored, had to write something. My cooler is stock, 78E, european version... the oil cooler hose-holder-thingies are not welded, but bolted to the frame.. hoses run parallel to the frame, just in front of it. They shouldn't bother the exhaust pipes, but they come close (bout 1cm).

LP
                        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                        X