No announcement yet.

1st post and 1st question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the reason for the two petcocks and "octopus" thingy? I doubt that Yamaha had the forsight to know that adding that system in the late 1970's would mess with me in 2007

one petcock feeds two carbs and the other does the other two....maybe for fuel delivery.....the octopus thingy turns the fuel off with the engine not running....it all works together xsevliy well
    82 XJ1100 Maxim
    80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
    Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
    black on black

Comment

The octopussy thingy is a vacuum diaphram designed to shut off fuel delivery when the motor isn't running. I'm pretty sure the second line is to provide you with a straight fuel delivery without vaccuum, using the prime setting on the petcock, in case you have run the bike and the floats completely dry. i.e. no fuel to start...no start...no fuel.

Ernie
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Hi Dave,

If you are bright enough to remember to switch the fuel taps to "off" when you park, then just throw the octopus away. Take the two "standard" fuel lines to the carbs, either directly, or through filters, as you like.

Either block the "prime" lines at the taps or (simpler!) just link 'em with a piece of pipe. One less thing to go wrong, and much simpler routing.

Don't forget to block the nipple on no2 carb boot where the vac line used to go to.

If you cannot remember to turn off the petcocks, you better keep the octy to (Sometimes....) do it for you.

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Thanks guys,

I learned something new I am going to hold off for now eliminating it per Alan's suggestion because as Fredjohny said "it all works together xsevliy well" otherwise I am all for keeping it simple. Besides, I have a bigger problem now. As I said I was able to repair the fuel problem, and she was back to running nice. I then adjusted the clutch per the "How to" section. That really put a smile on my face as the clutch was definately slipping. Unfortunately, the smile was to be short lived. On my test ride with the freshly adjusted clutch I made in about 1 mile from home, and when I came to a stop sign the bike died. Absolutely no electric. I have since got everything back except the turn signals, neutral indicator and I did not check the horn. Something tells me that I am soon to learn about the fuse box mod I hate electrical problems! I am not sure if I want to test ride her tonight to see if she is going to die as I am too tired to push her home. Anyway, I will look her over soon and probaly need to post a new thread. Thanks for all of the help with the fuel issue

Sincerely,

Dave
          Dave
          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

I was a victim of Kinked lines earlier in the year. Not to be a wet blanket, but it can run fe for a few days and then develop a kink. I hadn't thought of the spring thing (it's a thing thing, you would't understand, apologies to the Cat in the Hat...). I went with long loops and works fine.
            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
            X