Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on modified special

Hello all,

I recently purchased a '79 XS Special. Bought it from a guy who owned it for 10 years. He told me the entire bike was stock (and I did not really know better at the time).

From what I can tell, everything on the bike is orignal except the gas tank. The tank appears to be from a standard (in the shape of the standard tank and no off setting on the petcock). Silly way to discover this, but I purposely ran it low on fuel to see when the red light comes on. It did not. I dug into this a bit to find the tank does not have any electronics.

After reading several posts on this board about tuning and the octopus, I took a closer look at my bike. It appears the octopus does not exist.

Could this explain the standard tank? What else should I be looking for? Any concerns? Would I tune it as a standard or a special?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Skeggo

The special tank is a tear drop shape the standard tank is more squarish with the rounded front. He may have ditched the octopus as many do and he may have switched out the petcocks. Post a pic if you can.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Standards and specials would be tuned the same. The differences are cosmetic (and the XStra fuel capacity you now have).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

check the number on the right side of the engine....should match the number on the frame located on neck of frame under the forks.....

cross with this.....it'll tell you what you have

http://www.xs11.com/specifications/serialno.shtml
        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Serial number on the frame and the engine match and according to the chart it is a '79 XS1100SF. But, someone must have changed the tank.

I will post pictures tomorrow, hopefully it will stop raining here by then and I can get the bike out in the light. From drought to flood in one weekend. Yuk.

Comment

Originally posted by renegade_xs11g
            check the number on the right side of the engine....should match the number on the frame located on neck of frame under the forks.....

cross with this.....it'll tell you what you have

http://www.xs11.com/specifications/serialno.shtml
            ya but there's no numbers on the tank so if the tank or tank parts were changed out the frame and engine #s will not help him out.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Stand corrected....

I just thought it would help to verify what he's working on..
              I know it helped me..
              1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
              "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
              My Photo Bucket

Comment

What's filling the hole?

Hi Skeggo,
                Both styles of XS11 gas tank have some kinda sender unit in them. If your tank don't have a sender or at least the hole in the rightside tunnel wall where it should be with a sealing plate over it, the tank is an orphan. (BTW, what is the tank's capacity? There's another clue.) The Special should have a flat white plug with a black and a green wire which (on your bike) will be looking for a similar plug from the in-tank sender to mate with.
                IMHO the Octopus is not one of Yammie's best ideas and you are better off without one. If your gas tap has no "Off" position it has to be a vacuum operated one and could be connected to the vacuum hose that was intended to work the Octopus. Let us know what you find?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for the replys and sorry for the delay in getting better descriptions to you all on this. The weather is finally getting better here in the north. The bike is in the shop today getting new tires and brakes. I will take some pictures tonight and post them. Also, I will be pulling the tank tomorrow to sync the carbs so will look for the pickup wire or lack thereof then.

Comment

Working...
                  X