running problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running problem

I just bought a 1978 xs 1100 its in good shape for 300.00.As anything i knew there would be a lil work and money to put in it. It starts fine when the choke is engaged but it has to be at half choke to run.I noticed some cracks in the carb boots would this cause the problem im talking about?

Likely just part of the problem but a good place to start in your efforts to correct the issue. If air is getting in at the boots you would be running lean unless more fuel is added and the chock in 1/2 position would do that. Fix or replace the boots and see what you get.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Welcome to the site!! There's a ton of info here about your problem and many, many others. Be sure to search the forums and also read the tech tips.

Cracked boots don't necessarily mean that they're leaking. They are 2-layered, and the inside may still be ok even though the outside is horrid looking. Some RTV silicone can seal up the boots provided they arent in too bad of shape. It's definately the place to start though.
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hey Cyclops,

As has been mentioned, the tech tips...FROM THE MAIN FORUM PAGE since several have been added, and are NOT linked from the left column links, have lots of helpful info into the most common problems with an aged XS11.

IF the bike has sat for a while, then most likely the pilot/idle circuit is gummed up with old gas/varnish and it's not getting thru when you shut down the choke. Hope you are not afraid of carbs, cause it would be a good thing to go into them for a thorough cleaning...see tech tips!

However, you can always try several ounces of a good carb cleaner solution in the gas tank, like SEAFOAM, or Berryman's, Techroline. Might save you some work during riding season until it gets cold enough to not ride, and then you can take your time tearing it down, cleaning it up and such!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X