Float Valve ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Valve ???

I am back to 3 firing cylinders after another strip out and adjustment. All FLoats are set to 26 MM, number 2 still pours gas out.

I noticed a nearly indecipherable ring worn into the head of the float valve. Would that be enough to cause a leak by, even when the valve is seated.

My next step is to swap out the valve seat and valve with #1 and see if the flooding moves.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Yes it could be. Anther thing to check is that the float doesn't fallto far down into the float bowl. When you have the carbs out and apart make sure by tipping them upside down and lifting the float up. Make sure they are all the same. You can ajust them by bending the tab on the side by the hinge pen.

Trapper
    81 SH (SHotgun Special)
    110 mains
    idle jets 2.5 turns
    floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

Re: Float Valve ???

No. That would be enough possibly for a seepage that could make a mess on the floor over night, but it won't necessarily leak at all. Check the float function by opening the drains in the bowls (drain them), and blow into the gas line with the carbs tipped to seat the fuel valves. This will check to see if the bulbs are contacting the bowls. Also make sure the float moves on the pivot pin OK and that the float is not sinking due to a pin hole, and make sure that the fiber gasket under the fuel valve is thick enough so that the tang does not have to be bent too far. The float pins are spring-action and can get stuck!

One last thing is to make sure that the carbs are vented. You can't cap-off the vent hoses on the older carbs or they will flood when the engine is running.

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
      I am back to 3 firing cylinders after another strip out and adjustment. All FLoats are set to 26 MM, number 2 still pours gas out.

I noticed a nearly indecipherable ring worn into the head of the float valve. Would that be enough to cause a leak by, even when the valve is seated.

My next step is to swap out the valve seat and valve with #1 and see if the flooding moves.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Would that be enough to cause a leak by, even when the valve is seated.
        Yep.
        You've got the "all metal" float needles. Has to be perfect metal to metal contact for a good seal. Polish the seat with chrome cleaner and Q tips. I've had success polishing out the "wear ring" on needles before, but it just isn't worth the time(and it takes a lot!)
        The wear is caused by particles coming down from the tank... Too small for a filter to catch. Just erodes the needles over time.
        Replace them all, as the other ones are just about ready to fail, too.
        (If the tips provided by the other members don't cure the problem, then it's the needles)
        Last edited by prometheus578; 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
        X