Market value of 1980 xs1100 sg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market value of 1980 xs1100 sg?

I have a 1980 xs1100sg with 13, 000 mi. New tires, good shape, have a cruiser windscreen, steel braided brake lines, front fork brace, new progressive springs and shocks...Any opinions on a fair market price to sell? thanks...joe

in my own personal opinion (only opinion ) any bike of this age is only worth whatever you can get for it,but your bike sounds good from the description. in the uk for your bike in good condition needing no work and street legal i would suggest starting at $4,000 and see the response,that said i have no idea of the us market
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Just as a benchmark, I bought my 1980 XS1100 SG a few months ago, and I paid less than $1000 for it. It needed work (see all my other headache, and help me posts). It is now running well, with stock everything, and I would pay at least twice what I bought it for now!! RB

Comment

Hey dude,

From my experience in the business end of motorcycling, consider this. Does it have a clean title, general appearance, milage, and age. It sounds like you've taken good care of it and the milage is very reasonible. The age is important, the bike is old enough to drink in this country. Sight unseen, based on the loose description .. in my opinion 2500.00 - 3000.00 to someone who knows what they are looking at.
        The wisest men started out as fools and gained wisdom by surviving stupidity.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Wow...$3000 bucks, you are a little off. There was a show bike XS up here, had like 2000 original miles, fully detailed, like new and a bike show winner. Nobody even looked at it for $3000. I would say $1200-$1800 based on the description...would depend on how it runs and looks.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Sixtysix: Wow...$3000 bucks, you are a little off.......>I would say $1200-$1800 based on the description
            Depends heavily on the time of year and where you are too. You will not find any big iron down here that runs for less than $2000. I sold "Well Oiled Machine" for $2200, and that was my "to a friend" price. Could have gotten more on the market.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Well,Up here....lets see there is an XS in the paper for $1000 right now, was one for $700 last week, most are priced around $1200, even in the summer...some guys may ask $2000 but they ain't gonna get it, here. Kelly Book Value on an XS is still $1100 I think. Even the dealer was only asking $1800 for a nice standard last year.

Actually I am going to revise my estimate and say up to $2000 for that bike (here in NY), but only because of the new shocks, tires, etc. But again it depends on location. How about some pictures and some idea of where it is located?
              Gary Granger

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
                Wow...$3000 bucks, you are a little off. There was a show bike XS up here, had like 2000 original miles, fully detailed, like new and a bike show winner. Nobody even looked at it for $3000. I would say $1200-$1800 based on the description...would depend on how it runs and looks.
                Ya never know. I paid $2500 for mine cause it was in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition and I didn't want to wait around hoping to find a similar one cheaper.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

Hey Gary . . . maybe we should start a business . . . Buy "big iron" up there during the winter, and sell it down here during the spring!

Think of all the riding I could do!

Used bikes are expensive here. Not sure why. Maybe the great conditions for riding and the favorable registration/insurance environment . . .

One of my coworkers just bought a Ventura sight unseen off the internet from Florida due to the price differences! Even after shipping it up here he is saving over $2000.

New bikes are not any more expensive. Hence the Valkyrie! Go figure.
                  CUAgain,
                  Daniel Meyer

Comment

Guys,
                    Heres what I saw .. 1980 xs1100 special go for 3500.00 in immaculate condition with 4000 original miles and after market oil cooler. I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would not have spent that kind of jack on that. The facts still are it's big iron, it runs good, and it was serious eye candy. This bike lasted 2 weeks on the open market and it was gone at that price. I guess the market is different when your in an area where you don't have to winterize and can actually ride all year around. In Greater Atlanta you will get one good weekend in every winter month. I was just out riding today come to think of it. This beats northern winters by far.

So, you have all year around to seek quickness and alittle better handling ...
                    The wisest men started out as fools and gained wisdom by surviving stupidity.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

hi gary,any idea how much it cost to ship a bike to uk?at those prices we could be the next bill gates! are all bikes as cheap where you are or just old jap bikes? over here all these bikes are considered classics and prices rocket...hmmm maybe i should emigrate p.s. are spares cheaper in your area than in the rest of usa?
                      mick
                      xs1.1s(x2)
                      gsxr1100(1127)
                      gsx1100g(x2)
                      trophy900
                      bonneville750

Comment

Yep, they are all that cheap...here they are concidered pieces of crap..not classics......I can buy a 4-5 year old Bandit with low miles for the same $3000 we are talking about, that makes the older bikes worth less. I built a special...new tires, battery, all serviced, vavles done, carbs rebuilt, new brakes (all mc and calipers rebuilt) etc. etc. and could not sell it all summer for $1100 (last year) here is a picture:

This bike looked great and ran even better. I had to beg a guy from work to come and ride it...once he did, he bought it for $1000.00.........so you guys are full of it in my opinion if you think an anverage XS can sell for $2500-$3000.
                        Gary Granger

Comment

gary,that bike would sell for £2,000 easy in uk($3,300 i think)
                          mick
                          xs1.1s(x2)
                          gsxr1100(1127)
                          gsx1100g(x2)
                          trophy900
                          bonneville750

Comment

Hey Gary,

You should have taken a road trip down here. She would have sold with no problem.

Maybe put a classified in The Dallas Morning News yes?

*Warning* Vested interest in TDMN, I work here, I like them to make money.

The cheapest "big iron" (say, 750cc and over, though usually I mean 1000cc and over) for sale in this weekend's paper . . . and keep in mind this is traditionally the season when lots 'o bikes are for sale and cheap . . . is a '91 1100 Virago with 30K miles for $4000.

Other than really new (2001 or 2002 models) there is only about 6 used bikes in the "big iron" catagory available at all!

"Well Oiled Machine" sold because I mentioned . . . just mentioned . . . that she might be available.

Sigh. Teach me to keep my mouth shut . . .
                            CUAgain,
                            Daniel Meyer

Comment

Originally posted by XS-IVE1100
                              Guys,
                              Heres what I saw .. 1980 xs1100 special go for 3500.00 in immaculate condition with 4000 original miles and after market oil cooler.
                              Where did you see that listed?
                              Robert
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X