Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd no "firing" problem

ok here it goes,

had jugs #1 +2 not firing, so i checked the coils. fine ohms within specks. then i desided to checked the plugs pulled the pulgs checked spark, yep lots of spark. put plugs back in and all where firing. running great... put everything back together, now jug #3 is not firing????? i've done everything i can think of to check, now at a great loss. anyhelp will be great
    thanks

First..........

is this a new problem, has the motor been running OK, have you been riding, how's the performance

are all plugs new
    did you check the caps for resistance

then try
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=121
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

it is a fairly new problem. it happen 1 other time while i was driving. but it seemed to "Fix" itself. cheked the cap seems good.

Comment

That sounds like a Pick-Up wire problem...

Try this http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=35
        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Hey Amasher,

Please edit your profile a little more to include whether you have as '80 Special or Standard, can make a difference in suggestions!

Okay, firing moving from 1+2, then to #3 does not sound like the ignition, but the carbs! You've ruled out spark....and when it acts up, it's in the 1-4 or 2-3 pairing. The 1-2 pairing points to the carbs sharing the same fuel supply line! Same thing for a single cylinder, most likely fuel supply.

Here's where the suggestions can vary. IF a special, check your Octopus, the vacuum lines going to it, as well as the lines to the carbs. IF a standard, then the vacuum lines going to each petcock, and the petcocks to ensure they are flowing.

When you were doing your spark check, gave it time to refill the carbs so you then had fuel available when you put it all back together! On special, you can try PRIME position when it occurs again....if helps, then definitely fuel flow! Let us know what you find, etc.!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'd take TC's advice before mine.......

he's had alot more XSperience than I.

Oh, and I just kinda stab at a problem.......
            My Photo Bucket

Comment

As you know, a cold engine will act as if the mixtures are "lean" and after the head and spark plugs heat up, it will be richer. Perhaps the one that does not fire is too lean for whatever reason and starts firing when hot...

Originally posted by amasher69
              it is a fairly new problem. it happen 1 other time while i was driving. but it seemed to "Fix" itself. cheked the cap seems good.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X