Mechanic needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic needed!

So close, yet so far...I need a little bit o' help finishing my XS1100. Carbs need rebuilt and I need to fix 1st gear. I have the carb rebuild kits and a gear kit including what I (think I) need. I also have garage space and the tools needed, or I can drive it a short distance. All I need is some hands and knowledge. I can pay cash. I would like to have it done before September 1st for the Tahoe rally, but REALLY by September 15th. If someone here in NV can either help or recommend someone, thanks a lot.
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Am I really that alone out here?
    1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Well,

Just looked at the members lounge Nevada/Ca. member's thread, and it does look like you're kinda isolated!

There is a fellow DragXS11 in RENO just north of you, but the other Nevadan is across the state in Elko.

There are several Xsives West of you in Ca.
      Kelseyville/North Santa Rosa, Ca: XS650mike
      Hayward/San Francisco, Ca.: MRO
      Modesto, UncleSpot and : Pat Kelly
      San Jose wk/Aptos/hm: DiverRay
      Felton/Santa Cruz, Ca.: E. Liberty

But I wouldn't call it a short distance! The tranny fix is a bit tough to do on the road at someone else's place, but it's a fair amount of gas $$ as well as time to get them to come to you!?

You say you've got tools and garage space! Tackle the Tranny fix, and then once you get that done, you could then get it running well enough to take it to one of the GURU's in Ca. for some carb TUNING! Best to clean them yourself first as well!

Sorry! Wish I lived close, I'd offer to help! Good Luck!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually, that's a bit backward TC. I can run it fine without 1st gear (though it's a bit of a chore), it's the 12 miles to the gallon that's killing me, and that's what the rebuild kits are for. If anything, I might be able to get my father to get the carbs taken care of sometime and I could haul the gears somewhere else. It's just that he's the one that said "everything's fine" with the tranny when we had it apart for the engine rebuild, and he doesn't have anywhere NEAR as much faith in the bike as me, hence why I'm seeking help elsewhere.

Oh, and before it's asked, my father's an aircraft mechanic, giving him a BIT of an excuse for not knowing much about the tranny.

Maybe if that guy from Reno could recommend a shop around here that would work with something that old. I know the big place in Carson won't touch anything older than 7 years.
        1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Hey Mage,

You'll be paying thru the nose to get those carbs worked on! If you've been into the engine and cases, then the carbs shouldn't be much of a problem for you!

You've got the kits, just tear them down yourself! Don't soak them, just get a few cans of spray cleaner, some very good fitting screwdrivers and have at them! Just make sure the pilot jets are not the ones without the side vent holes. Where did you get the kits from? The tech tips cover the process quite well. The hardest part can be getting the float pin out and not breaking the float post, but can be repaired easily(I've done it) if it does happen!

Are the brass caps on the front top of the carbs over the pilot screws still in place, or have they already been drilled out to access and adjust the pilot screws? There are small metal and rubber washers under the tips of the screws, but your kit may have them as well.

Remove the carbs from bike, leave them together on the rack, remove the float bowls, place in row to keep together so they go back onto same body later, remove float pin, float, then unscrew small star/phillips screw that holds the needle seat in place, remove it and needle valve, screen on bottom of seat and old O-ring.

Remove main jet and then Pilot jet..here's where proper fitting screwdriver comes in...brass jets. Found tapping screwdriver into head of pilot jet first, then 'quick' twist to pop it loose, remove jets, washer under main jet. Flip carbs over, remove tops, springs, vacuum slides inspecting rubber diaphragms for pinholes/tears. Now push central Main Jet Nozzle up thru carb body. Be aware of small pin in carb body and notch in nozzle during this and reassembly.

Remove pilot jet screws from front top of carbs, ensure you get rubber/metal washers out. Now spritz carb cleaner into the 4 openings in the inlet bell(wear eye protection) and observe where it squirts out of. Squirt thru pilot jet tower, should come out pilot screw hole and possibly 3 small holes on underside of front of carb covered by butterfly valve. Put finger over pilot screw hole, squirt again, ensuring flow thru those holes.

Squirt into recessed hole in float bowl, should come out bottom hole, clean with small wire if not until successful! Spray carb cleaner on rag, wipe cylinder and needle of vacuum slide..avoid rubber! Clean carb body as desired. Use small toothbrush to clean vent holes in Main jet Nozzle, pilot jet, main jet, float needle seat screen, and other parts you want clean. Squirt into fuel inlet "T"s to ensure flow into carb body!

Reassemble main jet nozzle and main jet/washer, pilot jet, pilot screw with rubber/metal washer, gentle seat then 1.5 turns back out. Put vacuum slide back in aligning notch in rubber diaphragm with notch in carb body, spring and cap. New O-ring for float needle seat, new float needle, put float back in, put floats back in. Using calipers make jig using hard cardboard, plastic so that you can measure 23mm from bottom of jig to top of recess of jig to set float heights measured from gasket seal surface. Then put new float bowl gaskets on, make sure same holes are punched out as old gaskets, put float bowls back on.

Now, use butterfly to bench/presynch carbs so that the 1st of the 3 holes in the top of carbs is just partially closed by butterly, then put carbs back on bike! Connect fuel lines, vacuum lines, Prime, and start. Then get a vacuum sync gauge(s), or go visit someone that has one!

See tech tips for Tranny 1st gear fix! Phew.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the tips TC, but I already have the procedures, just not much mechanical know-how. You're talking to a guy that builds computers and plays video games (You see my little avitar? I have him tattooed on my right arm.). The engine rebuild was done mostly by my father, but now that he sees where he was wrong and I was right (about 1st gear), he doesn't want anything to do with that. I'm just WAY too afraid of completely screwing up a marginal bike. Hell, I'm an electronics guy, training in the US Army, but I still have another guy that helps me with the electrical stuff, if only as a second set of eyes sometimes.

As I said before, he might do the carbs, it's the gears I'm really worried about.
            1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

BlkMage,
              If I can get an early start on Friday, I'll have a look at the carbs. I can go though them in about two hours, plus the sync time. If you have a sync tool, we can get them done by Friday late afternoon, and you can run with us on Saturday.
              I did the Rally two years ago without second gear, so I know first should be no problem.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No sync tool, and I have to work that day, won't get home till about 4 PM. Can you work around that? And no offence, but I would imagine no 2nd gear to be a LOT easier than no 1st gear up in the mountains. I REALLY don't want to get stuck facing uphill trying to get moving, the XS barely makes enough torque in 2nd to get moving on level ground. Maybe I'll just have to catch another rally.
                1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Heh...XS11...no torque...second...heh..heh heh... I think that's just a symptom of your carb/low power issue.
                  1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                  1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                  http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I can be there about 4:00pm, and I'll PM DragXS and see if we can get a sync tool. As snow said, the ONLY reason you have problems in second is because of the carbs. I was able to go up a STEEP driveway in third, from a stop. That was just before I fixed both first and second gear on Daily Ride.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have had my XS since '92........ NEVER had first gear...... NEVER had a problem.
                      Bike will happily spin the tyre, or pull a load camping gear and a passenger.

Took a while to get used to shifting up for "First", but it has been a habit for so long that I don't ever have to think about it now!

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I had no idea...

Thanks a lot, everyone in this thread. I can't wait to see what she'll do myself once those carbs are fixed. Oh, and DR, I'll send you a PM in just a second with the details. Maybe in October or so when things start slowing down for me I'll worry about 1st gear.
                        1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

Ray: Sorry, but a little change in plans. Turns out my dad would rather fix the carbs himself, tomorrow actually. Plus, he's got the vacuum system to sync them. Turns out I won't be needing your help after all, though thanks for the offer. Can't wait to see you all (those of you that are coming at least) at Tahoe.
                          1981 XS1100S (former)

Comment

No problems!! I'll be happy to see you at the rally, and that give me time to tip a few with Maximan and crewe Friday night!
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                            X