Iridium plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bigfoot and Stralya,

The NGK Iridium plugs are not necessarily the SAME as the BOSCH plugs that are being mentioned, see below:

The NGK has only 1 electrode, where as the Bosch uses the 4 electrodes design. NOW whether that is truly the reason it is supposed to be better vs. just the use of the Iridium material alone is hard to say!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just changed to Iridium today runs great idles better.
      Also found out the NGK #3903 no screw off tops but the NGK #6637 has screw off tops. Just one more trip to the Napa store.

1980 1100sg
      80 XS1100SG
      Tkat fork brace,Progressive suspension,
      E3 tires,Iridium plugs,Mikes black coils,Standard handlebars,Kerker header.
      Ankeny,Iowa

Comment

I'm usiing the Denso Iridium plugs...should be about the same as the NGK. From what I understand iridium is a lot harder than platinum.
        XS 1100 LG

Comment

I'm always semi-suspicious of these spark plug claims, there's usually something not quite kosher hidden in the fine print, splitfire got their a$$es hauled over the coals for a similar claim, I know your mind can play tricks if you're actually expecting an improvement from classy expensive sparkplugs, it's even hard to tell the difference between 40,000 volt Dynacoils from grungy old original XS coils - unless you're told they're there..

Comment

I know your mind can play tricks if you're actually expecting an improvement from classy expensive sparkplugs
            I agree! In this case though the MPG has been consistently better...so far by 2 MPG.
            And I was never able to start the bike with no choke...and now it does. Even with that I remain skeptical...so we'll see.
            XS 1100 LG

Comment

2 months(5000kms) and counting

Mine have been in for 2 months(5000kms) and they havent blown up yet . Seriously, they have made all the difference .
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Oh yeah...one other thing. Today...stuck in mega traffic...( took 2 hours to go the first 30 miles ) Plus riding 2 up...got 40.4 MPG...not bad at all! In the past would have gotten between 36 and 38 MPG.
                XS 1100 LG

Comment

Interesting.

I wish I could claim the same. I tried a set last year. Kept them in for about 3000 miles. The only gain I saw was a lighter wallet. No MPG change at all.

I will concede the bike seemd to start easier with little or no choke. But then my bike always starts easier with a new set of plugs. I'll watch this thread. Hopefully more will report good results with these plugs.

Comment

Working...
                  X