Darn Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn Wind

Okay, so I came home from work today and to my suprise the wind knocked the bike over. Comestically it appears to be okay, It spilled about 1 gal of gas from the tank, tank was full. It was on it's side for a good number of hours. I now have it upright, What to I need to look for and check before trying to start the engine?

Thanks
    Wes Bowen

'81 XS 1100 H

Oil may have come out of the engine or the final drive, but these would be very noticeable on the ground. Same thing happened with my Virago a couple weeks ago.

The gas may have come out of the carbs, but just put the petcocks on prime for a few seconds to fill em up.

Check the engine oil window, and if there are noticeable signs of leakage out of the final, check it or change it if you don't have a gauge.

I don't think the middle drive can leak?
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Check the MC reservoir for leakage. You may have to crank it for a while to get it going. I don't know if this would be a problem or not but I know on WWII radial engines they ran the prop through to clear the lower cyls of oil. If it was on its side for a while, oil may have leaked into the combustion chamber. If it is a lot, you can hydrolock it. This probably won't happen. If you have turned it back right side up, the oil probably drained back out. Just don't be suprised if it smokes a little. I get it started and then check the oil after a few seconds.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Use the side stand outside.

Was it on the center stand? The center stand seems like it is much more sturdy than the side stand but in reality, it is not. Side stand makes a much larger triangle between the front and rear tires and the foot pad on the stand. I do not even carry the center stand anymore. Just install it when doing servicing.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Mike, The side stand works for the Specials, but NOT the standard. If you park a standard with a full tank on the side stand, you loose fuel!! I have LONGER rear shocks than stock, and have a problem with the bike being unstable. I have to be careful about parking, and I do need to use the side stand at times. I just need to be sure I have at least half a gallon of fuel used BEFORE parking on the side stand.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Is there any possibility that fuel could have gotten into the oil while it was layed down? I'm not sure if you are still using the octy or whatnot, thought I'd ask just in case.
            '81 XS11 SH (XSelsior)

Comment

If the bike was on its side, the fuel would just flow out to the ground. It should start after cranking for about 30 seconds, to clear out the fuel and oil that may be in the wrong place. If the levels look good, just try and fire it up. Don't expect it to run correctly for about one or two minutes. After that, it should be OK. It wasn't running on its side, so you didn't run any bearings dry.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

Thanks for the info, I check the oil and started it up. Everything ran fine, exhaust was smoking for about 2-3 mins and then cleared up. With this little incident cleared up back to the electrical issues.

Thanks
                Wes Bowen

'81 XS 1100 H

Comment

Ray, why does a standard with a full tank lose fuel when on the side stand but not a special? Is it because of the filler cap placement or something like that?

My inquireing mind wants to know.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

It's because you over-filled it. I always re-fill with the bike on the sidestand, and only just up to the inside rim of the neck. Then when put back upright, the fuel level lies about 1" - 2" below the neck. Never overflows.

Comment

Randy,
                      I always fill my bike while sitting on it. I'm set up to "gas-n-go" for the commute to work.
                      The Standard tank has the cap in the middle, and the Special tank has the cap on the right side. Since the side stand is on the left, the Special can be filled and still have room for expansion. The Standard has expansion room, but not the amount needed if using the side stand AFTER filling with the bike upright.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Gee...

Why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Working...
                        X