oil filter change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter change

I changed my oil filter last night for the first time since I got the bike. My old 750 has a spring and flat washer that sits under the oil filter and pushes the filter up.

I noticed that my XS1100F did not have a spring and washer. Is this correct or have I once again been screwed by the PO?
    Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Owner of:
    1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
    140 mains
    45 pilot jets
    Floats at 24mm
    Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

click >>>http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35

mro

Comment

What rubber inserts?

Hi mro,
      your link sez:-
      "From bottom to top: case, spring, washer, rubber insert, filter, rubber insert."
      I bought an XS11SG that'd had many neglectful POs. The first oilchange revealed a spring, a washer and a black slimy thing. The replacement EMGO filter (the box sez it fits a whole bunch of different Yammies) had it's own built-in rubber washers top & bottom. Are the separate rubber inserts called for in the link as well as or instead of the aftermarket filter's built-ins?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,
        All of the filters I've ever installed on XS11s have had the top and bottom rubber inserts as part of the filter. The spring and washer are part of the bike, and the two "O"rings should come with the filter. The Emgo only has ONE "O"ring, the large one. WIX includes BOTH "O"rings, as does some of the other filters. Genuine Yamaha does NOT include ANY "O"rings.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yep, that is typical for genuine Yamarobber! Fram used to give you both Orings.

Originally posted by DiverRay
          Fred,
          All of the filters I've ever installed on XS11s have had the top and bottom rubber inserts as part of the filter. The spring and washer are part of the bike, and the two "O"rings should come with the filter. The Emgo only has ONE "O"ring, the large one. WIX includes BOTH "O"rings, as does some of the other filters. Genuine Yamaha does NOT include ANY "O"rings.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Bad PO, Bad, Bad!

So I need to install a spring and washer.
            I have already put almost 500 miles on the bike in this state and who knows how many from the PO.

Is there any known detrimental effects from the way it was running? I assume that the filter was not as effective without the spring and washer.

Owner of:
            1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
            140 mains
            45 pilot jets
            Floats at 24mm
            Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

Hey Rman,

This photo isn't very large, but you can see that there is an O-ring around the head portion, and then a series of holes in it's side.

The spring pushes the filter up away from the bottom of the filter cup and around those holes, so that the oil is filtered thru the filter and then flows into those holes and up into the engine. IF the filter is sitting down in the cup, then unfiltered oil could have gotten in thru the uppermost holes next to the threads!

But at least you are still getting oil into the engine!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

installed spring and washer

My XS750 has once again made the ultamate sacrafice......

Owner of:
                1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                140 mains
                45 pilot jets
                Floats at 24mm
                Running Rich

Comment

Mine didn't have the washer or spring either??? I don't have a 750 to scrap from. Anyone know where I can find these parts?
                  78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Bikebandit has the spring available for just under $3.00, but doesn't have the washer. Partsnmore (source of TC's photo) has the bolt and washer.

www.bikebandit.com
                    www.partsnmore.com (In Canada, somewhat slow due to customs)
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Washer

Yamarobber dealer should be able to get the washer, mine did, he said it was the same on lots of different bikes.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Well if you want to know how to NOT change your oil and filter I am the guy:-) I started to change my oil this spring on a friday night,well the boys were out and about and showed up with some beer( first clue) I already drained out the engine oil and had the filter and bucket sitting in the pan draining and cooling a little,so I sit back,start swapping lies and such sipping on (free) beer,one of the boys pulls the filter off of the bolt and shakes it real good into the pan,I am still sipping on the (free) beer and he puts the filter on and puts it on the bike for me,I am still sipping on the (free) beer so I am happy that it was done for me and having a good ole time shooting the stih with the boys.Oil put in,two thousand miles later,pull off oil filter bucket,mmmm where is the spring? thought there was a washer also? Thinking back I still had the two gallon jug of old oil I had not recycled yet,started dumping it out into smaller containers......yuppers my little spring and washer:-)
                        So.....class...do not drink lots of (free) beer and let someone else touch your bike,but at least the oil did get put in.
                        '80 XS1100 SG
                        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

funny stuff...

i changed the oil and filter in my XJ for the first time yesterday. Only hitch was when i unscrewed what i thought must be the oil drain plug only to find out it was actually the oil filter housing. no biggy.. just a little surprised when more than the screw came out.
                          http://www.henryism.com

Comment

Hi Justinhenry,

I guess you did find the drain plug as well?

At least one member on here had only been changing the contents of the filter; Not really the best plan!

AlanB
                            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

i found the drain plug after consulting the manual. i knew i had it wrong when only a little oil came out.
                              http://www.henryism.com

Comment

Working...
                              X