Getting old, need fairing or windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting old, need fairing or windshield

Well now that I've got the same bike I had in college and have it running well, I've discovered that I really don't like the whole naked-bike thing the way I did 25 years and 120 or so lbs of body fat ago.

Any recommendations for source for a fairing or windshield for a 78 standard? I was out yesterday and it felt like any minute my ass was going to come off the seat and my feet would fly straight out behind me while I held on for dear life. Granted....it's probably the only reason I still have my license.

What I don't get is how the hell did I get nailed doing 120+ mph sans windshield on my special back in '84? I can't stand going more than 80 mph on the standard now.

I'd take a look at memphis shades for a full line of windshields and of course ebay for fairings. I'm having the same problem right now I hit a sparrow at 70 two weeks ago and yesterday I took a wasp sting to the arm. I like the look of the windshields over the fairings.
    I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Windshield

I have the Nat'l Cycle Plexi Fairing III on my 80 Special, and I love it. I ordered it from JC Whitney, it was about $165 IIRC. It has lower extensions that stick down along side the forks, and blocks a lot of the wind from hitting my legs. The catalog didn't have the XS11 losted, but it did have the XS850 listed, so I bought that one. Here is a pic of how it looks on my bike.

Comment

National Cycle

If you have a standard, you'll need to go to the website to find a windshiel that will allow the square headlight. I bought one about five years ago. It fit well and worked well. The screws / nut combinations on the fairing end of the mounts tended to loosen up due to vibration, but a drop of Loctite solved that problem.

Ralph

Comment

[I've discovered that I really don't like the whole naked-bike thing the way I did 25 years and 120 or so lbs of body fat ago.

I had the same problem. On a whim I rode out to http://www.50highwaycycle.com/ which was only about 60 miles away. The place truly in a scrap yard but I found that they have a large collection of vetter fairings. They also had a couple of xs1100's sitting out there rusting.

I ended up getting a Windjammer V in excellent condition. A Vetter stereo unit off of another fairing there. A headlight to replace the one that was broken. And a complete set of Vetter saddlebags and trunk that are in good to great shape. I got all or this for $225. I am not trying to brag or gloat, just giving everyone an example of their pricing and a good resource for a used fairing.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

My Special is the first bike I have purchased with a full dress. I am finding I enjoy the faring as it does block most of the wind, but it does take some getting used too as it actss like a big sail. I find the bike will sway more than I am used to, especially with cross wind.

Skeggo

Comment

that's the Memphis Shades HELLCAT,
              not much help with the wind, BUT it does help keep the junk outta your face
              1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
              "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
              My Photo Bucket

Comment

Working...
              X