Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get little plastic starter button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get little plastic starter button?

Have a 1980 xs1100. The small plastic starter button's inner lip has broken so that it pops out...keeping that thing in my pocket and inserting it each time to start til I can find out how to get a new one....Any suggestions? Thanks, Joe

Glue it back.
    Other than that, there was a thread open on this...subject
    You can get metal buttons that fit nicely.
    I have a button from any local electronics store. A red one. Works nice, not too complicated to install...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Yes! E-mail t-kat and see if he has any of them...he machines them from aluminum and gives them to list members for free (he only asks that you give a donation to your local animal shelter in the amount you think its worth). Contact info at http://www.tkat.com/

Or there is a Honda plastic button that works and costs like $2 at your local Honda dealer.

Here is the info that Bill Kingson presented on the subject:

Veteran XSive, Rick Jemison, posted this information early last year.
      I have researched the horn button thing a bit now and have come up with a Honda alternative.

Model: 1977 Honda 750
      Part# 35317-001-310

The following are dimensional differences:

Dimension.............. Tkat Button ......... Honda Button
      Total height........... 0.362" .............. 0.333"
      Base to end of actuator on back
      ....................... 0.060" .............. 0.161"
      Lip OD - holds button from the back of the housing
      ....................... 0.431" .............. 0.423"
      Button OD.............. 0.348" .............. 0.300"

The main dimensions would appear to be top to bottom dist and button OD. The base to end of actuator on back is "adjustable" On the Honda unit this is a 0.070" brass rod which can be filed to adjust length.

Units are plastic and mine cost $2.65 each. They are available and were in stock at Dryer Honda, Indianapolis.

If anyone sees another button that might fit the XS, please post the information.
      Note: On 7/29/02 I checked the part number at Ron Ayers Motorsports. They listed it for $1.63! (BK)
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I got some from Tkat in September this year. I would think he still has some. He told me he made a whole batch. Ask for both starter and horn, he will send you both. Much better than stock and great looking too.
        And you can't beat the price! Free, with a small donation to your local SPCA or like org.

Ride Safe.
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

starter button repair

I broke the starter button on my 1100g. Local yamaha dealer showed no currect current number available for a new one, about that time a mechanic came up front and said to get a starter button repair kit for a XS650. $6.00 and a half hour work it was good as new
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Definetly t-kat, put the starter button on mine, still have the horn one as a spare, although I should put it on so they match. Looks good, and the free for a donation idea is a noble idea on his part.

Comment

You can also find them at www.650motorcycles.com/mikesxs13.html

He sells Yamaha XS650 parts.

Part number 24-6525 - comes with a new spring for $6
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Re: Where to get little plastic starter button?

Originally posted by ramblas
                keeping that thing in my pocket and inserting it each time to start til I can find out how to get a new one....Any suggestions? Thanks, Joe

Joe, until you get a new button, you can use damn near anything metal to start the bike. It is just the solonoid current, not the starter current. You can use a spare key, a metal paper clip, etc.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Does anyone know if TKat has any of these replacement buttons left? I found my stock button lying on the ground next to the bike this evening. LOL I sent TKat an email to ask him directly also.
                  1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Made my own out of Delrin. (I'm a machinist) Works like a dream.

A guy with a lathe should be able to do it in 10 minutes.
                    '80 XS 1100SG

Comment

Jeff

Tkat had some 2-3 months ago. It may take him a few days to get back to you.
                      Gary
                      79sf
                      78e

Comment

I'm going to take that part number to my favorite old timer Honda parts guy and order 10 of them.

Until now, I always cannibalized old switches for parts. I have a pretty good sized box of mostly dead switches.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I recently bought a large box of Yamaha switches and in the box was 4 SR250 throttles. Other than a more robust starter button, they look just like the one on my XS11. It's not just that the button is bigger but the starter switch is larger and better designed.

I haven't had a chance to compair the plugs but even if it doesn't match, it'll be easy to swap.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                          X