problems with my 1980 xs 11 running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with my 1980 xs 11 running right

here it is , when im rideing the bike act's like it loses 2 cylinders but continues to run. i have found that if i hit the kill switch real quick it runs ok again, now i've changed the coils and thi ignition modual and the plugs. none of this has helped, my xs has an electronic ignition systim on it that was added befor i bought it and im not real clear on settings or checking it...

to say the least guys i need help
    1980 xs1100
    1981 xs 400
    1982 verago 750

Welcome to the site!! There's a wealth of info here about our bikes! Be sure to search the forums for any further info you may need. The tech tips also have many helpful nuggets of info in them.

Under the left side engine cover are the pickup coils that tell the TCI unit when to fire the plugs. The wires that route to them are notorious for breaking. They can appear intact even though the wire inside is broken. You have to pull on them to find the bad spot.

When one breaks it causes the exact symptons you describe.

Give that a check first...it's likely your problem. There's no oil seals or anything under the cover, it's dry. Comes off easy.

All XS'es have electronic ignition, BTW. There's no real settings for it....it's a sealed unit.

There's a guide for checking the TCI unit here, if it comes to that:

http://home.ptd.net/~theragos/xs11/tci%20faq's.htm
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Had the same problem just yesterday!! Driving down the road, started dropping 2 cylinders at a time, felt like the right side.

Couldn't figure it out, but put the petcock on PRIME and got my 2 cyls back. Drove me nuts for about 6 miles until I pulled into a gas station...

You'd be amazed how much better these things run when they have gas in the tank!!
      "Rat Rod"
      79 XS1100 Standard
      87 VMAX cans
      Cheap Japanese Tires
      Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
      Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
      Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Thank you Jw
        I found the broke wire this morning beffor going in to work and it was purring like new again no problems on my ride in to work.

Thanks Again For your help
        1980 xs1100
        1981 xs 400
        1982 verago 750

Comment

Glad to help!

Be sure to stick around a while! Just about everything that can go wrong with these bikes can be found here. There's probably several hundred years of combined experience to draw from.

Post a pic if you get a chance!
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
          X