xj1100 gears gone bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 gears gone bad

I bought my 82 xj1100 about a month ago. First gear didn't work (pops out and grinds when you let the clutch out). Second gear would skip just when ready to shift to 3rd.
    Recently, it slipped out of second (felt like my old Suzuki when the chain slipped off the sprocket. It didn't lock up, just sludged to a stop.) I couldn't get it out of gear, but was able to push it off the road, with the clutch engaged, with heavier resistance, but wheel still turned.
    I went back to check on it 2 hours later.
    I noticed that my shift pedal could be pushed in and out about 1/8th of an inch. Don't know if that is normal.
    I took of the outside cover plate that the shifter goes into and looked around, put it back together and and then got it to shift.
    I was able to get it home in 3rd gear.

Is this the typical 1st and 2nd gear problems? Are the xj and xs 1100's transmissions the same?

I don't have the confidence to do the tear down, dremmel fix and get it back together.
    Anyone know anyone that knows how to do a trans fix on an xj1100 near Spokane? I would be willing to truck it to Seattle if needed.

Yes, the 1st and 2nd gear problems are well known, and the XS and XJ has the same basic transmission.

Cool part is, it's relatively easy and inexpensive to fix, if your so inclined, and you don't have to pull the engine out to do it.

There are several links in the tech area about fixing these problems.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=5090

For a start try the above.

If you click on Forums, on the left, then scroll down to Repairs, Transmission you should find all you need.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Send a PM to Prometheus578, he works at a cycle repair shop in Olympia Washington and knows alot about these bikes. He might be able to squeeze you into his busy schedule.

Oh yeah, he looks damn good in leather pants and a Santa hat too..

Comment

Working...
      X