No Rear Brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Alan,

I used lots of assembly lube, that came with the seal kits, but you just made me think of something. I pulled the calipers off to check the seals to make sure no fluid was leaking. Pulled the dust boot and pumped them up to expose roughly half the piston. I then blocked them and the lever felt great with the pistons halfway out. When I pushed them back in to re-install, the lever went back to soft then hard. Sounds like the seals may be grabbing like you explain.

I'll try your suggestion as Fred also suggested the same thing, bunjee on the bar.

Thanks again,

Ernie
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

OK, a spongy lever at the first squeeze that firms up after a couple more pumps and you're sure you've drained all air bubbles, slide the discs out of the brake pads (DON'T touch the lever) then push the discs back in again. Don't ask me to explain the mechanics of it, but the lever should stay nicely firm from then on

Comment

I redid all the lines again last night and bled the system with the calipers hanging off bunjees from the ceiling. Let pistons come out as far as I dared and pushed back in with clamps to reverse bleed. Re-installed calipers and left strap holding lever tight. Feel is now about 98%. Will tip MC tonight to ensure no air in piston. By George I think thats done it!
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
        X