XS11 Restore - Cosmetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Restore - Cosmetics

Now that It's running great, time for cosmetics. I have the original ferring. Windshield is verry scratched. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
    RickMc
    <ricks.mailbox@charter.net>
    1978 XS1100E

windshield?

You are just the guy I,ve been waiting for, I used to buy my windshields and other fairing parts from a company called Swannee (spelling may be incorrect) from Milltin Freewater Or. which is just down the road from you.So if you would see if you can find out if they are still in operation and post their phone number or web address,I for one as well as many others will be forever greatfull.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

Re: windshield?

Originally posted by wa407mpp
      You are just the guy I,ve been waiting for, I used to buy my windshields and other fairing parts from a company called Swannee (spelling may be incorrect) from Milltin Freewater Or. which is just down the road from you.So if you would see if you can find out if they are still in operation and post their phone number or web address,I for one as well as many others will be forever greatfull.
      Is this it?
      Swanee & Company 1550 S Main Street Milton Freewater OR (541) 938-6174
      RickMc
      1978 XS1100E

Comment

Janvil.com plastic scratch remover works GREAT. 3 parts, heavy scratches, light scratches and plastic shine. I couldn't hardly see thru my windshield, this stuff made it like new. IIRC about $30.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

After I removed my windshield, I never had a problem with scratches again...

of course, the bugs are a bit more offensive...

LOL...nah, I won't give up my half bubble for anything. Keeps the wind out of my chest.
          "Rat Rod"
          79 XS1100 Standard
          87 VMAX cans
          Cheap Japanese Tires
          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Is Janvil.com scratch remover different that the Novus three part scratch remover? I used it and it did make it so I could see through but when the sun hits head on, you might as well close your eyes cause they aren't doing you any good. This thing sat in a back yard for six years and someone got the idea of wiping the inside with sandpaper. Not really, I think it was covered with dirt and they wiped it up and down with a rag. Sand paper wouldn't have been any worse. So, if I'm gonna pull a Clint Eastwood and ride off into the sunset, I gotta do something so I can see the road.
            RickMc
            1978 XS1100E

Comment

Hey Rick and Wa407,

Did you perhaps miss seeing This Tech Tip in the Misc. section about replacing your windshield yourself?? Regrettably Ken Talbot's web pages are offline, but I think he has nice photo documentation of the process!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Go to janvil.com scroll down to plastic restore, it shows 3 bottles. JV-2000 $22.95 8 oz. bottles is what I use. You CAN see thru the windshield when facing into the sun and with oncoming headlights at night. You could probably get away with just useing the heavy scratch remover JV-213 $8.95. I refresh my WS once or twice a year. This stuff is well worth the money to be able to see. IT WORKS.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                X