rebulid parts search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebulid parts search?

so i have decided to overhaul the motor, loss timing chain, and nice suttle gray-blue smoke every so often.

i got the gasket set already and timing chain.

does anyone have suggestions on where to find rings and bearings?

what else would be good to take care of while its down?
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Standard rings are still available, I think. Bearings VERY RARELY need replacement. How many miles on the engine? If less than 75K, you should be good.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

parts needed

well the milage is a mystery. the speedo was changed at least once. and this one has 44000 miles on it. who knows how many it had before and how many miles have been put on after the swap...so an "acurate" guess is pretty hard to come by.
      Last edited by geniusloerts; 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM.
      1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs
      1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

The average bike usually does not have real high mileage on it so unless it was run low on oil on a regular basis I would not worry about the mileage or bottom end bearings. If you do a hone and new standard rings you can check the bearing for free play by hand. It there is no up and down free play your more then likely good to go with them as is. If you want to plastic gauge them you will have to splite the cases and that is a far amount of added work.
        However when it's apart do a full head cleaning / recovery. Cylinder hone and new standard rings, replace the top end seals like the 1/2 moons and cam chain tensioner seal. If you have not already done some trany work this is likely the time to do it. At least do the fast and easy 2nd gear fit if nothing else. Change out your clutch springs even if the ones you have are still to spec length. Check clutch steel and fiber plates.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Just clean and check your main and rod bearings with Plasti-guage, if you want to be sure.

Don't remove them from the rods or mains unless you determine they need to be changed.

Main bearing sets come on Ebay all the time, and from time to time rod bearign sets as well.

I've seen rings on Ebay, as well as pistons.

Keep in mind that the gasket sets don't come with crank seals, and I assume, a few other seals. (at least mine didn't)
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
          X