Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb help needed.

1981 XS 1100 Special – B 4RO

It’s totally stock I've owned it since it was new. Its been stored for 21 yrs got it back on the road last Sunday. I believe I have a carburetion problem. I am running a few tanks full of fuel treated with ring-free from Yamaha. The local mech told me to do that before I pay him .
    Here’s the problem I'm having. She doesn’t want to start when cold . It tries to pop once then she just cranks and cranks. At this point if I spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner box she fires up right now. Then with some creative throttle control I can keep it running while I get the seat back on . When its cold like this it pops and backfires but as soon as I put some power to it she goes strong . After I go around the block a few times and she is really warmed-up she will idle on her own. However when I give it some throttle it will stay revved up at about 4500 to 5000 rpms when in neutral. When I let the clutch out the power comes down to normal. Or when it is revved like this in neutral if I pull the choke lever out to the first click she will idle normal and actually will run down the road very well . The local guy told me that the problem is most likely with the low end or slow jets for idling. My Clymer manual doesn’t specify which jets are starter jets. It just gives me the # 32.5 I worked as an auto mech for a few yrs a long time ago so I have some idea on how not to turn a wrench or when not to use a hammer. I have been though this bike from headlight to tail light. Have checked for head leaks and compression, all good. Mechanical and vacuum advance check out all good. (When I pull the vacuum line off the advance she will power down but the advance checks out at 5lbs. vacuum.) Intake boots check out no leaks. New coils, cause the old ones checked out on the low end and I wanted to be sure. Timing is right on. Have had the carbs torn down to there basic elements , toothbrush and Q-tip cleaned, all the jets seem to be open when I shoot carb spray through them. Put them back together with all the stock parts except for new needle and seat in all four (The problem was the same with the old needle and seat. I replaced them because there was some leakage . ) Floats are set at the same on all four. I put the carbs back together and color tuned them . But the problem is still the same. Strong at power , struggles, pops and backfires at idle when cold. One other thing if I hold the throttle at about 2000 rpms when cold she will continuously sputter and pop. Go past that we’re good.. This bike is very clean inside no cracked or worn wiring anywhere and all connections and solders are good. Have not touched the main ignition module. She had none of these problems when I put the bike away years ago.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Don’t fall Down (That’s if it will start up.)

Keith

Hey Keith,

You said you were able to color tune it, so I'm assuming that you have removed the brass caps that are on the front top of the carbs that cover the Pilot Jet Screws!? IF not, then you'll need to gently drill thru them, and put a sheet metal screw in and remove with a pliers of choice!

Secondly, there is a JET inside the float bowl that many folks don't know exists! It gets easily clogged with storage fuel turning to varnish! You'll need to use a small soft wire to stick down in that tube to mechanically remove the plug, along with spray carb cleaner to ensure that the tube and jet is open, and that will usually solve your cold starting problem and won't need the starting fluid/spray!

But, you'll probably need to pull the carbs again, and check out the pilot jet circuit....Prom posted a how to a while back, a recent search for carb trouble will probably reveal it, basically remove the pilot JET, and the pilot screws....careful, there are fine small metal and rubber washers on their end, easily lost or stuck in the pilot screw tunnel! Then squirt carb cleaner thru the pilot jet tower, and ensure it flows to the pilot screw area, then close the pilot screw tunnel and ensure it flows out the 3 little holes on the upper inside of the carb throat where the butterfly contacts!

Then, you'll need to get a vacuum synch to resynch the carbs=your rising hanging idle! Also, NO rubber caps over the pilot JET towers.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great info. Guess where I'll be this weekend. By the way what does a vacuum sync cost?

Keith

Comment

BTW,

Here's a few photos to show what we're talking about!

Vacuum synch, depends on what style, mercury sticks or dial gauges...around $45-55 a set, or you can make your own, see the tech tips!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sorry I didn't answear you completely. Yes I have had the Pilot jets out and they were very pretty. The jet inside the float bowl that your talking about , is that jet down inside the tube and when you take it out it looks long and slender with a hole from the screw driver end through to the tip and six holes on the sides two going through on one side and then at 90 degrees from there there is one hole going all the way through. Or as you roll it in your fingers at 90 degree intervals its 1 hole 2 holes 1 hole 2 holes ?

Keith

Comment

Just saw the pictures. Aha, so if I am seeing this right these jets are in the bowl end of the carb ? Cause if they are then you sure are right I totally missed those . Thanks

Don't Fall Down

Keith

Comment

Keith, the jet your talking about IS the pilot jet, that is in the Pilot jet tower next to the MAIN JET tower in the CARB BODY. This other jet in the float bowl is pressed in, you don't remove it!

The Pilot SCREWS are on the front top of the carb body inside a tower. On the 81SH they were brass capped off at the factory, so this is why I was wondering HOW you could color tune IF you hadn't removed them to gain access to the pilot SCREWS under those brass caps!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sorry I'm being confusing, It's just Iam so easily confused I did take out the brass caps and pilot screws. and I know now that I never cleaned any jets in the removable part of the float bowls. I can remember seeing them now and when I realized what you were talking about It was a total Duh! moment for me I am looking forward to taking the carbs off and cleaning these up.
                I'm sitting here smiling at myself cause it sounds like a solution and Im feeling pretty silly but I'll get over it . Thanks.

Comment

Say T.C. I just noticed your in VA. I Spent some time down there about a million years ago at Quantico and Yorktown. Got around the state some, nice place. Wish I had a bike with me then nice ridin scenery. I did have a 250 Ducatti then but it was home being abused by my brother. He still owes me bike.

Don't fall Down

Keith

Comment

It might pay off to get some new fuel line and splice-in a couple of inline fuel filters if you haven't already. The old hose just ain't what it used to be! There are itty bitty screens above the fuel valve that can get clogged with rubber bits...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

float bowl jets

Hey, T.C.
                      Yahoo, got home from work today and tore off the carbs again. Pulled off the bowls and sure enough all four jets in the the four bowls were clogged up tight. Shot some carb spray in there and left them soak for about 20 minutes then gently eased a very small needle thru the hole in the jets. Then I shot more carb spray thru them and watched em open right up. Put it all back together and when I hit the starter she didn't even turn over a full turn and she was running. . I had not started it for 2 days so I think that counts as pretty good cold start ( at least for august. ). I love fixes like that. Now on to vacuum syncing and re color tuning. Thanks a heap.. Now I can put my set of hammers away

Don't fall down

Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X