xj 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj 1100

just wondering which windscreens, saddle bags, custom seats , lighting , and exhaust , you owners have found to fit the bike and work well with the lines of the body , i have owned this bike 4 days and already have an idea of what i'm wanting it to look like !!!!
    "82 xj1100 ( the blind rat)

Welcome!

National Cycle has a good aftermarket windscreen you can get for your XJ, but you will need to get the adapter kit that will fit it to the square bars. I went with the one size larger than the fly screen, forget the name at the moment.

For saddlebags, I am currently using some Krauser bags, which are pretty hard to find. The mounts are very strong, though if you do find some be sure to get the updated version of the bags.

I would do a search on this site about exhausts, there is plenty of great information on here. Look for Maximan's recent post about his Supertrapp core modification.
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

thanks for the info ,

Comment

windscreens, saddle bags, custom seats , lighting , and exhaust
        For a full touring setup look for either a Windjammer or Pacifico set-up; Vetter is more common. These are frame-mounted, so you need to get an XS / XJ11 mount, but offer the greatest wind protection. Lowers for cold-weather riding are also available from eBay as are the fairings and mounts. An option is a Cycle-sound module that was used to mount a radio/tape deck in the Vetter. These come up opn eBay once in a while.

Vetter also made hard saddlebags for the XS / XJ series. Due to differences in mounting, not all the frames the bags mount on are interchangeable but modifications are usually minor to get, say, and XS Standard Vetter frame to fit an XJ. Trunks and luggage racks were part of this system and are still available used.

Custom seats...do a search and you will find several discussions about this. I used Diamond Seats out of Florida; they build custom seats for the XJ. Not cheap at about $420.00 but are very good seats.

Lighting...also many threads on this. Not a lot you can do as the XS / XJ alternators don't put out an excess of power, but you can switch your turn/signal/brake lights to LED units and use the recovered power to run auxillary lighting at highway speeds. Also a few headlight mods that will give you better light without taxing the charging system.

Exhaust depends on your preference. Used systems include Jardine, Kerker, MAC (who also makes new systems) and a few others. Both 4-into-2 and 4-into-1 systems can be had. MAC is probably the loudest and cheapest, Jardine is good and has a selection of different mufflers available, Kerker is probably the highest-performing system but narrows the power band a bit. Any change in exhaust systems may require re-jetting of the carbs, so none of these is a simple bolt-and-go operation.

A comment here based on personal preference. If you are looking to upgrade your XJ, start with stainless-steel brake lines and rebuilding the master cylinders and calipers. The XJ is 25 years old, and brake parts deteriorate over time, even without heavy use. Upgrading your systems will pay off in reliability and increased stopping power.

Second, get a Tkat fork brace. While the XJ has a light factory brace bult in under the front fender, a fork brace will improve your bike's handling under almost all road conditions. These bikes were not known for their handling to begin with, so upgrades in this area will pay off in a better handling bike.

Third, check your suspension, and if there is any doubt, replace the fork springs with progressive-wound springs. Progressive and Hagon make these. Again, handling and rideability are improved. Similar advice on rear springs, either replace or rebuild (good thread on this recently) the stockers for better handling and a better ride.

While saddlebags, extra lighting, and a flashy exhaust are all nice, tending to the basics first will get you a more reliable and better handling bike. Remember, it is 25 years old and basic systems will need some attention.

Almost forgot...check your fuse block. If it is the original and using the glass fuses, you will want to replace it. Several discussions about this as well, use the Seach tab at the top-right of your screen to look for previous discussions on any topic. This is a known problem area, as the 'fingers' that hold the fuses become corroded, brittle, and add resistance into the circuits. Many gremlins have been traced to a bad fuse block. Replacement is highly recommended from both a reliability standpoint and, since many of the replacments use blade-style fuses, replacing a blown fuse becomes much easier.

Brakes, suspension, electrical...not glamerous but attention must be paid if you want to end up with a reliable and decent-handling bike. Good luck!
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

awesome information , thanks for takeing the time !!!

Comment

Working...
          X