My Bike's Sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bike's Sound...

I like the sound... just wish it was louder and throatier. I love the way the Muffler and exhaust looks so i just want to alter the sound without changing my external muffler. Any suggestions?

(BTW it is a Jardine 4-1)

I have a video . Enjoy!
    1979 Eleven Special - 26,000 miles.

Another Video

I wouldnt mind my bike sounding closer to this...

Comment

More volume will get you more attention and that attention might be from the boys in blue. To change the tone of the exhaust note you will have to mess around with the collector DIA and or length and or the baffle. Also keep in mind that LOUD does not mean more power. IT just means more noise.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

yes i know that more volume means more attention. I also know the effects it can have on performance. I dont want to run anything wide open or anything that would be as loud as that 2nd video. I just something that doesnt sound so "ring-ba-ding-ding" if you know what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by firecrackerboom
          Another Video

I wouldnt mind my bike sounding closer to this...
          Those pipes look like 4 into 2, turned out. Sounds like with no baffles material installed. Sounds nice and deep but unless tuned VERY well is likely robing the engine of power.

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

First Video looks like 4 into 1 as is seen on MAXIMANs bike. That deep sound is made by increasing baffle flow. The pipe I had like that had no baffle material packed around the baffle but did have a stop plate to prevent free flow. You can try drilling added holes into the sides of the baffle on both sides of the stop plate of drill holes through the stop plate. You will have to take the baffle out of your pipe and mess around with it. make all changes a little at a time. Don't just drill the whole thing out all in one operation.
            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Performance does not have to be loud.

I run a Jardine 4:1 into an R1 can. This muffler lets a 1000cc motor put out 140hp. My 95 hp 1100cc motor thinks it has an open header(all most!).

My exhaust tone is very low and mellow at idle. Most of what I here when it is opened up is the carb breathing through a K&N filter and drilled out air box.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

lol... I read the post about the R1 muffler. Looks pretty nice. But I want it to be louder than it is so I wont go that way. I will hopefully be able to get my baffle out to mess around with it soon. I dont want it Terribly loud, just louder than it is now.

Comment

Hey FCB,

Like Rob said, just drilling a few holes in the ENDs of the muffler can help lower the tone! I had a 4-1 pipe and simple baffle pipe, but also had the ring-ding sound! I put 4 1/4" holes in the end plate of the baffle, and it helped to lower the sound, gave it nice growl without being obnoxious! Other folks with more "Sonic/acoustic" knowledge have stated that the larger the hole, the lower the tone! YMMV! You can always put nut/bolts to seal up the holes IF you can get your baffle out and you don't like the sound!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm running 4-2 turned-out sidepipes

...and I love the way it sounds, but also would prefer a deeper, more gutteral tone without rattling the windows out of the old houses here. I have no center baffles at all, but can see the end-plate when looking into the pipe. Perhaps a couple of small holes in the end-plates would do me some justice in the lower tone department. I do know that when cruising under a bridge or near barriers, I can hear the exhausts working separately, and i LOVE what I hear. But eventually, it just fades into RING-A-DING-DING....
                    "Rat Rod"
                    79 XS1100 Standard
                    87 VMAX cans
                    Cheap Japanese Tires
                    Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                    Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                    Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Working...
                    X