Fork Seal Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seal Replacement.

As many of you may know I wrecked my bike a littler over a month ago. I finally got it all back together and have had the chance to ride quite a bit over the past week.

I bought new forks off from eBay. I replaced the fork oil...the only stuff this shop had was this synthetic stuff so that's what I got.

I now have fork oil coming from the for seals. It's not a BAD leak...but it is noticeable for sure. There wasn't an apparent leak before I replaced the oil. Did the synthetic shrink the seals a bit maybe?

Now that I know they need to be replaced...to people that have done this task...is this a doable task in my own garage or would you recommend just paying someone?

Can I get a difficulty level 1-10? 1 being easy...

Also...a round about guesstimate on what a shop would charge.

Thanks in advance everyone,
    -Dennis

New forks as in new to me....they were used forks.

Comment

do I need to remove the tubes from the triple tree or can I just remove the bottoms and replace the seals?

Comment

The synthetc won't have shrunk the seals. They may have dried a bit from sitting, depending on how long they sat.

I would ride it for a couple of weeks, at least, and make sure they stay leaking. They may stop after they get oil on them for a bit.
        Just make sure you wipe it off frequently so it doesn't get on your brakes.

Since you bought the complete, you have no idea whether they leaked before, I assume.

Fork seals are fairly easy to replace. You have to undo the brake calipers, take off the front wheel. Then you take off the front fender and anything that is still bolted to the forks.

Then loosen the triple trees, and the fork tube can be slid out to work on.

let the air out.

Here is a generic expanation

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/forkseal.html

If you have trouble with the bolt on the bottom:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...k+seal+replace
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Shoot the seals with carb cleaner. I think it swells them a bit.

I had a set of forks that would leak the first time I got the bike out each spring. I would hit them with carb cleaner and they would stop leaking as long as I rode the bike.

It might buy you the rest of the summer so you can replace them this winter.

I recommend Yamaha seals. I found they last much longer than the after market seals I have tried.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

It's only been a little over a week since I put the new fluid in.

I'm hoping they'll stop...I know I've heard that cars that always used conventional oil then switched to synthetic caused seals to leak for a bit.

I'll also give the carb cleaner a try.

Comment

I had the same problem. Every spring the seals would leak, so I would replace them. On the 3rd year, I just left them, didn't have time, and they only seeped for a week or two.

I don't actually think the seals were leaking at all. I think, when a bike is stored outside, that water gets into the dust seal above the main seals. The first few rides, there is this water, with a bit of oil in it, that leaks out and looks nasty.

As the seals get a bit of oil on them, they swell or soften and reseal. I replaced the ones on the shadow twice, first two years I owned it, and never again in the next 12 years.

I don't think many of those cars leaked from putting in synthetic. Just the owners never paid attention until they put in $40 worth of oil!
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Follow the tech tips, do a search on fork seals, read carefully. First timer level, 'bout a 4, second time, 'bout a two. This is only if you follow the tech tips, you dive into them without doing your bookwork and it will climb to a 10 real easy.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                X