No announcement yet.

XS11 only runs GREAT 90% of the time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 only runs GREAT 90% of the time...

today was the 3rd time my 80 Special "learned a new trick":
    it was running GREAT until I was about to pull into a parking lot, then it DEaccerated to a stop, and when I tried to 'rev' it up it would choke out and die... I went into a store to get a soda and when I came back it started and ran PERFECTLY...
    ...on the way back to the shop, I had just pulled off the FWY and it did the SAME thing at the top of the off-ramp. It did NOT want to run... after about 2 dozen attempted to start it it finally came to life and ran PERFECTLY... It accerates GREAT, and runs exactly like a XS11 should - FAST and STRONG... BUT, this was the 3 time in a couple of days this has happened... normally I wouldn't mind a little inconvenience but my truck is in pieces (rebuilding the 47 yr old carb), and the starter motor on my '97 Taurus is dead...
    (when it rains it POURS!)

ANY ideas where to start looking...??

1980 XS1100SG

Fuel filter

Fuel filters, Very similar to the problem I had once with a K5 blazer, my neighbor laughingly told me to clean the fuel filters, he was right.
    Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Owner of:
    1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
    140 mains
    45 pilot jets
    Floats at 24mm
    Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

Ron,
      Check the pickup coil wires. You may have one that is open, and it could be "shorting" when you de-accelerate. Just pull the left cover, and check the wires. If bad, replace a short part with "flexible" type wire.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Fuel cap vent

Comment

I'll bet on the pick-up col wires too. Intermittent, sudden, all-or-nothing steers me away from any sort of carb or fuel delivery problem.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Ray,
            I think I may be missing something...
            you wrote "Check the pickup coil wires... Just pull the left cover, and check the wires..."
            On my Special under the left cover is the battery, and tool box... that's all. The only time I've ever seen them was with the gas tank completely removed... what am I missing?

...and how do you check the pickup coils? Ohmage? spark strength? I want to make SURE this doesn't happen again.

I did drain my float bowls - LOTS of little particals floating around. Turned the gas back on, started the bike (hit the intake manifolds, vacuum hoses, etc w/ WD40 to see if there was any vacuum leak - no change in RPM so that is discounted....
            'went for *HARD* ride: LOTS of acceration, and LOTS of DEceration, and generally seeing how fast I could get it, and fast I could slow down (w/o using brakes). 'went down the FWY about 25 miles and back... the only thing I noticed was slight clutch slippage at "balls-out-throttle-twisting" DAMN! this bike is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Recent discussions have also mentioned the tip over switch, have seen one that gave intermittent activity. Try removing it and see how it behaves. But I wouldn't rule out the gas cap vent either, both events have occured after some time riding. The special's vent is easily clogged with varnish!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Ron,

Follow THIS LINK to the Pick Up Coil wire repair tip...they are under the left crankshaft cover, same location as the ALT but on the LEFT side...no oil under it, just a dust cover!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

XS11 only runs GREAT 90% of the time...

thanks to T.C. and everyone else that responded!
                  I love this forum / website!
                  I'll remove the left-hand timing cover and check things out.
                  'try and post again tomorrow...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I just took off the timing cover and checked for broken pickup coil wires - GREAT section on that T.C.
                    checked all the wires; none were broken. 'pulled on them before and after the bike was started - no problem...
                    'DID noticed that the P.O. was in there and 2 of the wires had been repaired before!
                    The only problem with mine was one of the 4 bolts was missing...

'took it for ANOTHER ride - it ran PURRRRFECT.

I ***LOVE*** my XS11 ...and I KNOW a 28 yr old bike WILL have problems...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by UncleSpot
                      2 of the wires had been repaired before
                      Aha! Keep an allen wrench in your pocket for the next while. I'll still bet this is going to happen again.

BTDT....
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

I have a bike that like to "run out of gas" when I throttle down from highway speeds and the cure is to twist the left side petcock to PRI setting for immediate results (standard). I don't know what is happening there, and I have even tried switching the vacuum hose to the other manifold to no avail. I replaced the petcock with another and the same damn thing happens. It does not always do it and when it does it is only usually once during the trip. I suspect there is a low vacuum condiition caused by the exhaust system that cuts off the fuel supply.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X