No announcement yet.

Speedo Problems, Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem seems to be that Cable Worm. The teeth are nearly grinded completely off. I am going to have to purchase another Speedo, or Gauge Cluster, to try and fix it. I am going to have a bunch of XJ11 Gauge Cluster Parts left over after the first of the year.

I have been looking at the Sigma Sport Cycle Computers. I noticed a few people have used them. If anybody has one, I would like to see some pictures. Specifically of the Magnet Installation. 5MM is not a lot of room, and I am afraid of the magnets hitting, and breaking.

Also, if anybody has a speedo assembly they might be interested in helping me out. I would greatly appreciate it. I Basically only need that stupid Work part. Is Cable Work the real name, or something Jerry just put together?
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

Cable worm drive is just my term for it...have no idea what Yamaha would call it. Microfiche is no help, as speedo is sold/serviced only as a complete assembly, no breakdown of individual parts.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

hi, i used a sigma bc800 on a bike before (no pics sorry) the magnets wont hit if you do it right. i actually put the magnet on my brake disc (on the spider) lock wire or adhesive is best,the cable is to short i used fine gauge twin core bell wire...hope this helps
        mick
        xs1.1s(x2)
        gsxr1100(1127)
        gsx1100g(x2)
        trophy900
        bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

XJ Speedo Problems

My mechanic that did all my insurance repairs finally found the problem. There was a screw that was a little long, and was making the cable worm lock up. However, that is fixed, but now the speedo won't settle down. It is jumpy. EX:

Cruising below 4400 RPM, the needle bounces. After 4400, the needle is calm, and everything works fine. I have tested it by shifting at about 7-8000, and it does fine in all gears in higher RPM's.

Any ideas?

82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by crunchbird
            ...some people and I had the problem that the speedo was bogging down, reading too low.
            This explains why my buddy said I was riding like a bat outta hell and my speedo only showed 50MPH. Up to now, I just thought he was a pussy. I need to apologize and lube my speedo.
            Excellent thread - thanks to all.
            Rocky
            00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
            80 XS11 Special -sold
            77 HD Sportster
            75 Norton Commando

Comment

Jumping or bouncing speedo....

I had this problem with the last speedo I put in the XJ. I think was tied to old lubricant on the shaft of the 2nd magnet, the 'silver bell' shown in some previous photos.

With time and mileage the speedo stabilized. The 'bounce zone' got smallear and at lower speed. After several hundred miles my speedo is now stable at all speeds.

I would try lubricating the 'silver bell' shaft, but most likely the problem will work itself out over time.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I put a hundred miles on it the day I got my bike back. My legs were frozen for days, it was only 40 with a windchill of 30 out.

I will continue to ride the heck out of it, and after 500 miles, I will have to lube it and try to fix it a little better...

Thanks Jerry

82 XJ11

Comment

Working...
                X