79f Huge Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79f Huge Fairing

Went and looked at a 79F for sale with a HUGE factory faing. I have 2 wingjammers and for sure its not one. This thing was as wide as a barn door . I have 2 questions . It seems just sitting on it that you can"t see the road any closer than 20 feet ahead . Can anyone give me an idea how this really works out for them or was it because I.ve been running my SF naked (no fairing)?also need a new plexiglass , any direct replacements? Didnt get a photo but in the PICTURES section looks like the 78E photos of Lexis Fenner and Jack Ward
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I'd wager that that's a two piece fairing. I've the upper piece (headlight, turn signals,etc) but don't believe I've seen a bottom shroud part. Here it is in the brochure:

http://www.xs11.com/pix/79f-4.jpg

Here's an 80, which I think looks better (fairing-wise)
    http://www.xs11.com/pix/80g-3.jpg
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I have the factory fairing on daily ride. I LOVE it. It does a LOT better job of wind management than a windjammer. I have about 5 MPH more top speed with the Yamaha over the WJ. The shield is hard to find, but as I have one, I can probably have a shop use it for a pattern and get one or two made. I have put a LOT of miles on the bike with the fairing, and would NOT ride without it.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

fairing

This one didnt have the lowers , the way the front is made looked like home made shield could be made.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

The shield NEEDS a bend in it. The stock shield has a crease on each side, just about third bolt out from center on each side. The curve sets it out about 2 to 3". Someone on the Yahoo group made his own, and used two 2X4s to bend the warm plexiglass.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have bent the stuff up before using a heat gun and 2X4s.
            Not too difficult, but I think the "real" windscreens are made from a different material so as to not make jagged pieces when it breaks. Similar to safety glass.
            Not sure of the availability of the safety stuff, or if it can be bent in a like manner.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

fairing?

Does the fairing look like this? If it does it is a fairing from the original Venture touring package. they were made by Pacifico. They are a very good fairing (kind of ugly) but very solid, no vibration or shake and I've never known one to crack. There used to be a company in Milton Freewater Or. by the name of Sawanie that was making parts for them and selling NOS parts as well as custom making windshields to order. I lost track of their information when I moved out here, I'll look around a see if I can find it, or maybe someone else knows something about them. The windshield on my bike is one of theirs they used to make shields for other fairings too.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

wa407mpp

Yes thats it. May be no matter at this point. I probably missed the boat on that bike. Should have got it when I first saw it but with money in my pocket and ramps and straps loaded in my pickup just as I was going to look at it I let my dogs out of the house for a pee and one of them ran into something and ripped a 9 inch piece of his back on something outside so had to go to the emergency vet and left him to be sowed up. Then I went over and looked at it but a little unsure of my finances and with all the things it needed and a 78E project already on board I think I pissed the guy off when I didn"t take it on the spot. Paint was the most impressive part, almost like new but had a sewer tank, usuall brakes, carbs, battery ,dinged front fender,headers 4-1 macs,old tires, fairing shield gone, seat cover tattered and dog in the hospital. Dogs doing fine with bunch of stitches and $400 bucks. Exept for the paint job and fairing pretty much what I have in the 78E so I passed. Then the bug ate at me and I e-mailed him to let me know if he still had it but I think he got insulted when I didn"t get it the first time. If it had factory pipes there"s no way I would have left it there the first time. can"t save them all. I'm afraid some yo-yo will get it and get frustrated and end up parting it out. HAPPENS ALL TOO OFTEN. Thanks for all the responces. Best Wishes. SFer
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Working...
                X