Wrong carb kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong carb kit!

I have a '79 XS1100 Special that I am currently rebuilding. I ordered a carb rebuild kit from Carb Kit Capital, for the Special and nothing, with the exception of the float bowl gasket and main jet fits!
    The other jets are too small. The cut=off valve on my carbs is a push in type, held in place with a small plate and a phillips head screw. The supplied kit has a screw in valve. Did they send me the wrong kit, or have my carbs been swapped out at some time?
    How can I tell what set I have?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Ozzie,

Have you verified that you truly have a 79SF by checking the VIN# against the list in the MISC section?! The Title will sometimes have the date of manufacture, which can be months earlier than actual model, so an 80 is actually made in 79!?

IF it IS a 79 SF, then someone had swapped carbs on you, cause the kit you got has the right type of parts for the 79 with the screw in valve seat and solid metal valve, whereas the 80-81's take the press in seat with O-ring and viton/rubber tipped valve!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, I just checked the Serial Number, and I have 3J6 XXXXXX which says it is a 1980 XS1100SG

What is that in laymans terms?

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie65
        What is that in laymans terms?
        It appears you got exactly what you ordered, but unfortunately, you ordered the wrong kit.

Basically, you have 'later model' carbs, which were used on '80 and '81 bikes. The 'early model' carbs were used on '78 and '79' bikes.

In addition to the screw-in versus push-in float valve seats, there are quite a number of other differences.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Yup, my bad!
          I went off the manufacture date stamped on the frame,
          Am I correct in assuming that an SG is still a special? Just want to make sure before I order another set of kits!

Comment

Carb Kit for 80/81 carbs $12.00
            http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-fuel_...ategory_id=4.3
            SG is still a special?
            Yup

mro

Comment

Working...
            X