Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coils

No spark coming from coils. There is power going to the coils, but no spark what so ever coming out. I even took the end cap off one of the plug wires, cut it a little, stripped it a little, and still couldnt get it to carry any current. Bike sat for probably 5 years before I started rebuilding it. Any options?
    80XS11G (heavily modified) "Snot Rokkit"

Deuces Wild
    Custom Paint & Body
    1200 N. Wall Sreet
    Calhoun, GA 30701
    770-608-3779

I would start here:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=583

If that doesn't get it there's a picture of how to ohm out the coils for testing in a clymers manual.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Hey Roach,
      I found your previous thread, am quoting it here so folks can see what you've done electrically in the past:
      A few weeks ago, while redoing my wiring harness and getting rid of all the sensors and relays Im not going to need on my 1980 Standard, I accidentally removed the ballast resistor and the two wires that run to it.
      Uses two red/white wires.
      One goes from resistor to coils, and also connects to TCI.
      Other starts at resistor, connects to engine stop switch right control, also to starter relay and to TCI.
      mro
      The FAQ tip Manshack posted is good, so IF you have a meter, you'll want to check things out, including the plug caps...don't assume they are good. There is a resistor in them and the contacts can corrode and prevent continuity, you can verify with an Ohmeter, should be around 5K or so, but if a lot higher or NO reading=open then it's bad!

Also, you can take a jumper wire and supply power to the coils and then cut power, and see if you see a spark. IF so, then the triggering system for the coils isn't working properly! TCI or PU coils and all related wires are suspect!

You say you have power to the coils, have you checked it while cranking the engine?? IF you didn't get it wired right, the power is routed around the ballast resistor and sent directly to the coils for a full 12 volts for stronger starting, this is controlled by the TCI. And then once it starts, the TCI cuts off that power lead, and routes thru the resistor to keep from burning the coils up!

Let us know what you find!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Here's what Clymers has to say about testing coils:

http://home.valornet.com/download/xs...s-CoilTest.pdf

Report back what you find out!

Comment

Oooopss,

http://home.valornet.com/manshack_on...s-CoilTest.pdf

Comment

The plug caps are brand new from MikesXS. I thought I had accidentally removed my ballast resistor wires but when I went to hook the new one up I realized I had left the factory wires there, just threw away the ballast. So I just plugged it right back in. All I had to work with today was a test light, and with key on I have power to the coils, during cranking I have power to the coils. I'll have to see if I can scrounge up an Ohmeter at the shop tomorrow. I know theres at least one there but finding it wont be fun. Im hoping I dont have to buy new coils because it will be a couple of weeks before I can spare the cash and this, and a stuck float needle are the only things keeping me off the road at this time. My goal has been to have it running by my birthday...and Friday is coming up quick.

BTW...TopCat...that paint scheme I told you about turned out great! Now if I can just get my digital camera to take a decent picture!

Deuces Wild
            Custom Paint & Body
            1200 N. Wall Sreet
            Calhoun, GA 30701
            770-608-3779

Comment

Almost forgot.....TopCat....those velocity stacks that I messed with for an hour the first night and could never get them on....well I gave up on them after that. But before reinstalling the carbs on the bike I decided Id give them another shot and I'll be damned if they didnt all slide right on. I dont know if I smoked crack that night and didnt remember or what but obviously you were correct!

Deuces Wild
              Custom Paint & Body
              1200 N. Wall Sreet
              Calhoun, GA 30701
              770-608-3779

Comment

Almost forgot.....TopCat....those velocity stacks that I messed with for an hour the first night and could never get them on....well I gave up on them after that. But before reinstalling the carbs on the bike I decided Id give them another shot and I'll be damned if they didnt all slide right on. I dont know if I smoked crack that night and didnt remember or what but obviously you were correct!

Deuces Wild
                Custom Paint & Body
                1200 N. Wall Sreet
                Calhoun, GA 30701
                770-608-3779

Comment

Cheap meter

A side note...
                  All I had to work with today was a test light,
                  If you keep your eyes open for sales, you can get a cheap meter like this for $4.00:

Meter was on sale from MCM, www.mcminone.com. I am on their promotion e-mail list, don't buy a lot but do get small items from time to time from them. Sorry to say this was a 1-day deal, sale is over but still not badly priced at around $10.00. Model is 72-7940.

Specs:
                  AC voltage 2 ranges 0 - 200, 0 - 300 volts
                  DC voltage 3 ranges, 0 - 20, 0 - 200, 0- 300
                  Max DC current is only 200mA
                  Resistance 5 ranges, 200, 2000, 20K, 200K, 2000K
                  Diode check, 1.5 and 9v battery check, square wave output, reads negative as well as positive.

Not a great meter, but for $4.00 worth having in yout tool box!
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Removing sensors and switches? Make sure you have the tip over switch properly bypassed if you bypassed it... it'll stop all spark if it's broken or mounted incorrectly (like I put mine in upsidedown after a complete teardown and rebuild)
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

er...NO!

If you connect the leads of the tipover switch together, you WILL kill all spark. That's how it works, it shorts when it's activated.

If you simply unplug it, all will be OK, until you tip over. Then it won't stop running until you kill it manually or the carbs overflow and kill it.

Comment

And disconnecting would be properly bypassed, no?
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I found an Ohmeter at the shop today but didnt get a chance to use it. I'll have to check the tip over switch tomorrow as I know it is still installed, just moved to a different area and I may have mounted it upside down or sideways. I removed all wiring for all turn signals, reserve lighting unit, etc. Nothing but a headlight and tail light on the bike. King Sportster tank so no tank wiring. No speedo, or tach or cluster wiring. Bare bones.

Deuces Wild
                          Custom Paint & Body
                          1200 N. Wall Sreet
                          Calhoun, GA 30701
                          770-608-3779

Comment

If you are going bare bones, just remove the switch. you don't need the wires, and it will clean it up some more. JMHO
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well heres what I found out today. Im an idiot. Although I have assumed that for years now. I had the tipover switch installed sideways. I cut out the double backbone and installed a single tube so all of my mounts were gone. I ended up installing it sideways. Flipped it right side up and she started firing. Took it out completely and after fiddling for an hour or so she fired right up and ran. So this problem is fixed. Although now Ive found I have a clutch problem.

Deuces Wild
                              Custom Paint & Body
                              1200 N. Wall Sreet
                              Calhoun, GA 30701
                              770-608-3779

Comment

Working...
                              X